Diving Puerto Madryn - tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marbiologista

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everyone,

I will be in Ppuerto Madryn for a marine science conference in October and will have a week of vacation there afterwards. So naturally I want to go diving, but I find the info online on dive centers, prices etc. lacking, at least in English.
Any advice is really appreciated! What center is good/bad? Best/worst spots? What's an average price for dives? (I have e-mailed several places for these infos...slow to no response).

My info: PADI AOWD since 13 years, long break, recently started again ~90 dives, 27-yo marine biologist :)

Hi, I'm from Argentina. Your are welcomed to our country.
Though Puerto Madryn is a city frequently visited by foreign people, you will find only seldom locals speaking english.
There are a lot of dive operators in Puerto Madryn. Some good, some, well, not.
If I had to select an operator to dive there I would choose Scuba Duba
Another one to recommend could be Abramar Buceo. Both of them are located in the coastal avenue in the south part of the city.
With respect to places to dive, there are several.
To begin with wrecks, you can dive 4, Albatros, Miralles (two big fishing ships), Folias, a fishing ship laying semi-submerged near the coast and a new one, recently sunken, Urabain, an ilegal chinese fishing ship recently captured by the naval Police.
There are also several underwater parks, like "Parque Piedras" and "Lobería Punta Lomas" where you can dive with friendly sea lions (Lobos marinos).
Near Puerto Madryn, something like 100 kilometers away, is Puerto Piramides. It's a small coastal village with excellent diving also. This town is the home of whale watching boats.
Water temperature calls for drysuit year round. You can rent a drysuit with the operator, but also in PINOSUB. You will need to reserve your drysuit with time, because it could be hard to get one without a reservation. 7 + 7 mm wetsuit could also be used if you are resistant to cold, it fits perfect and the weather outside is warm. You will need also a hood, boots and gloves. These last 3 items will be hard to rent and you will need to carry them (but the boots) if you dive dry or buy locally.
Visibility is normally good, in the order of 6 to 12 meters, sometimes better, sometimes worst.
Wind is a point to consider. Sometimes all activity is suspended owing to the wind. In those cases, normally the following day you will be able to dive but visibility will be reduced. Those windy days you can visit several interesting places, like "Punta Ninfas" where you can visit a sea lion group (Lobería) without proximity restrictions, "Playa El Doradillo" where you will be able to see whales from the coast or the "Eco Centro" a wonderful museum of the sea and marine life.
The average price for the dives is like any other part of the world. It could range 120 US dollars per 2 tank on board excursion. Sea Lions dive is far much more expensive, but it's the gold star of the city.
It will be hard to find prices in the web pages of the dive operators. Our currency is "pesos" and we are having a lot of inflation, so prices in pesos change every day.
A good dive center should ask your divelog and dive C-card. If you are not diving since a lot of time, take a refresher course and give no chance to be refused. Discussing if you do not speak spanish, could be a pain (there, just there).

I hope you enjoy our coast and the beautiful city of Puerto Madryn. If you have any other question, just ask here or PM me directly.

Folias wreck :
32712323_10155310817116759_3665141953000898560_o.jpg

A further point to consider is that all dive boats are small boats or Zodiac RIBs sailing from the beach.
Doning your suit will be done in the operator shop by the beach. To climb to the Zodiac in the dive site, you will need to remove your scuba gear (BCD, reg and tank), handle it to the boat guy, remove your weight belt, handle it also and then climb to the boat from the side with your arms and a huge fin stroke (no stairs sorry).

Thanks @emoreira for the great advice! Especially renting the dry suit ahead of time...that could be a problem since I cannot be sure when I get a chance to dive yet due to my work schedule. But I'll need one probably...I'm really cold sensitive but consume very little air, so usually the cold makes me leave the water.
I do have hood, booties and gloves and after some really bad rentals will never go without my own again.
I haven't done zodiac dives yet, but taking off the equipment in the water is no problem and getting in should be fine (I had to climp 3m of vertical ladder with wet gear in Mexico :wink: )
I planned to check Puerto Piramides as well, since I heard diving from there might not take such long rides. But then again, staying with one operator may be better.

Back
Top Bottom