Diving post Covid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

noserider

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
As quite a few are starting to pick up covid again (up 500,000 cases in the uk last week) and ongoing changes to advice. I thought it would be useful to have a thread that collates the current requirements that different agencies are adopting for those that have recovered from Covid.

As always, with diver related medical issues DAN seems to be ahead of the curve on this and has published some clear guidelines

BSAC have also published similar advice although in true British not for profit sector style have made it a slightly more confusing read

Hasn’t everyone had covid at least a couple of times by now?

Like all diving, it’s up to the diver to decide if they’re fit enough.

DAN's recommendation for a mild illness to get a family doctor to assess is impractical to say the least. My doctor's surgery would tell you to sod off and not waste their time.

DAN's recommendation for a mild illness to get a family doctor to assess is impractical to say the least. My doctor's surgery would tell you to sod off and not waste their time
I've had it twice, didn't get to see a doctor just got over it. Why would you need a doctor to tell you you can dive if you're not sick and feeling fine.

I've had it twice, didn't get to see a doctor just got over it. Why would you need a doctor to tell you you can dive if you're not sick and feeling fine.
It could possibly have insurance consequences

In what way? There’s no requirement to ask their permission and submit a dive plan for their pre approval. Nor if you’ve had a cold, ingrown toenails nor heart surgery.

Although if you’re doing a course they require that utterly pointless "cover their backside" form to be completed. Why? What’s it got to do with them?

Diving, in common with many other pastimes, has an inherent element of risk. You can’t breathe underwater. That’s why we train and practice with equipment so that common perils are overcome. We can’t plan for all eventualities, those have to be accepted — or don’t dive.

Medical emergencies in diving are not that much more common than normal life, although the consequences of passing out or fitting underwater may be severe. Diving is a relaxing and low energy sport, climbing back on a boat or beach is probably the hardest thing we do.

If I’m unfit for any activity, be it skydiving, cage fighting, marathon running, scuba diving or driving to a dive site, then it’s solely my responsibility to make that choice and either accept the risks or don’t do the activity.

That UKDMC medical form seems to be written explicitly to scare people away from a perfectly safe activity. Either that or it’s to assess how much money can they gouge out of you for pointless and needless medical consultations. Most of that form is complete nonsense and has absolutely no impact upon diving for fun. Maybe relevant to professional saturation divers, that’s about it. Not sure why BSAC uses it for their ever decreasing membership.

The problem as I see it with going to a doctor after you've fully recovered from covid and asking about going diving is first they don't know everything about covid and they may not know a lot about diving so they'll get all defensive and the answers you get will be to cover there own asses. If you're fully recovered from covid I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Covid seems to be a profitable industry.

UKDMC website:
COVID-19 CAN HAVE SIGNIFICANT IMPLICATIONS FOR DIVING.

INDIVIDUALS MAY HAVE HAD THIS CONDITION WITHOUT BEING AWARE OF IT.
How can those two lines be correct? If covid's that bad that you didn't even know you've had it, then it's hardly anything to be bothered about!

Conversely, if it is something to worry about, then what about those genital warts, etc. Are the UKDMC trying to be our new mummies?

Covid seems to be a profitable industry.

How can those two lines be correct? If covid's that bad that you didn't even know you've had it, then it's hardly anything to be bothered about!

Conversely, if it is something to worry about, then what about those genital warts, etc. Are the UKDMC trying to be our new mummies?
Wibble it seems like you are having a major wobble about this thread.

It was meant to be a thread where different agencies standards and requirements could be collated but you have hijacked it

But before you have your next wobble, wibble please remind us of your medical qualifications

There are lots of things like this. Termites, hepatitis, rust, mold, asbestos. The recommendation is to get yourself checked out, but you don’t have to. Just like you can buy a house without an inspection.

DAN's recommendation for a mild illness to get a family doctor to assess is impractical to say the least. My doctor's surgery would tell you to sod off and not waste their time.
I respectfully disagree. The recommendation to see a family practitioner after mild illness is only if the diver has not regained full mental and/or physical capacity after being ill, which is very reasonable. Someone with a complete, asymptomatic recovery from COVID would not fall into that category.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom