Diving Physiotherapy exercises for broken ankle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nielsent

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Howdy All,

So about 3 weeks ago, I broke my ankle quite badly, with clean fractures through the end of the fibula, tibia, and the talus. I was given surgery where pins and plates were put through stuff, and I am off the foot for the next four weeks before my full physio will begin.

When I spoke to the othropedic surgeon and anestesiologist (both divers by coincidence) they told me that going back to diving shouldn't be a problem, and said that once I have the plaster cast removed and a walking cast put on, I could start attempting to move the ankle around while laying in bed or on the couch before my physio starts proper.

I recently had the staples removed from the surgical sites and a walking cast put on, and am now starting to rotate the ankle a little to help give me back the range of motion.

I was wondering if there was any resources online people knew about that would allow me to learn different movements I could do with my ankle that would help promote the range of motion

As an FYI, I WILL NOT BE DIVING in any way, shape or form for at least another 8 weeks. Right now I am just trying to figure out ways to help speed recovery so I can get back to doing what I love.

Thanks in advance all,

-- nielsent

nielsent, both as a physician and as someone who had a tibial plafond fracture (similar to your tibial/talus fracture) my best advice is to get a referral to a good physical therapist and do JUST WHAT THEY SAY. For now, just gentle, non-resistance range of motion is plenty -- asking the ankle to go up and down, and turning the foot in and out. I think you'll find you probably have very little motion to begin with, and it will probably hurt to try to range it. Don't push things -- do what is mildly uncomfortable, and nothing more. The PT, when you see him, will start you on a set of exercises with an appropriate degree of resistance. Do not try to exceed what they tell you to do -- you can actually do a great deal of harm that way. (I speak from experience, having thoroughly chewed up my right shoulder joint trying to be a Marine about rehab.) Those guys have the education and experience to know what is enough, and what is too much. Follow their orders, and my best wishes for a full recovery!

(BTW, I never got all my ankle motion back, and I still dive without problems.)

Back
Top Bottom