Diving & Periods

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

irishreefer

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious, but I was going to be on my period during my cert dive, and I just asked my gyn for a pack of low dose birthcontrol pills. I dont normally take them (tubes ties), but you can to skip a period. Not good to do all the time, but once in a while is ok. I would do it in a heartbeat, excluding you having already had problems with them. Tina

irishreefer:
Just curious, but I was going to be on my period during my cert dive, and I just asked my gyn for a pack of low dose birthcontrol pills. I dont normally take them (tubes ties), but you can to skip a period. Not good to do all the time, but once in a while is ok. I would do it in a heartbeat, excluding you having already had problems with them. Tina

I've skipped the week of placebo pills in order to not get a period for a major week long trip. Don't think I'd do it for a day or two of diving. Can be done though, and to each their own.

Paula

I got my period on my first Coz trip and thought diving would be miserable, but found that diving actually helped cramping. I'm not sure what difference it would make if you have your period during a few dives, unless you are susceptible to cramping or extremely heavy flow that might make you uncomfortable wearing a bathing suit (due to leakage, or if you can't use tampons, etc). I haven't found any research that says menstruation increases risk for DCI. Just remember to stay rested and hydrated.

I've "rearranged" my cycle in the way you describe numerous times for vacations over the years (except that I'm actually taking the pill)- never had a problem but dont think I would bother with the hormone fluctuations it can cause for just a few dives. Plus if you arent adjusted to the the pill it can cause nausea... which would be alot more inconvenient to diving than a period...

monkey, I also do this a couple times a year. It always seems to work out that when I can take vacation is also when I should get my period. And who wants to deal with that on a dive vaction?! My gyno is cool with the idea, but anyone who hasn't skipped before should ask their dr first just to make sure there are no reasons that you personally shouldn't do it. There is actually no medical reason to have a period, unless you're trying to get pregnant and then obviously need to ovulate and want to know if your attempts are working.

BC pills actually stop ovulation. The only reason that there's a week of placibo's is because the MEN who came up with the Pill felt that women would want to mimick their monthly cycles. If you're not planning a pregnancy anytime soon, Seasonale is a nice alternative to traditional 28 day pills.

Good point about checking with a doc- thanks for bringing that up. Hadn't heard of Seasonale but will ask on my next visit since it sounds perfect for me!

Seasonale is a low-dose BC pill that you take for 3 months. Only FOUR periods a year. If you have heavy periods, you may have some breakthrough bleeding the first few months until your body gets with the program. Otherwise, what could be better then having only 4 periods a year?! I'm considering a last chance attempt at getting pregnant next year so for now, I haven't switched. But if that doesn't work out I will be going with Seasonale for sure.

Back
Top Bottom