DIVING OVER 50 YEARS OLD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

clarkey

Registered
Reaction score
As an operator of a dive shop in a remote location we are a long way from decent medical facilities. As our island becomes more popular with tourists as opposed to just backpackers then the age of our customers is more varied and we are getting more people wanting to dive who are over 50. We've had a couple of minor incidents recently with people in that age bracket who have had medical issues following a dive, even though the dives were well within safe limits e.g. 45 minute dive at less than 40 feet, and the customer had self signed NO to all the medical questions required for a PADI DSD.
As a result of these cases though, and at the recommendation of the local doctors, we are going to introduce a policy for over 50s to have medical clearance, irrespective of whether they answer yes or no to the medical questions. I'm looking for any guidance from other dive operations with a similar policy as to how workable that is for them, links to pages with such a policy etc. I am going to ask all course students over 50 to have a medical at home in order to be allowed to start a course, my only doubt at the moment is whether to have the same requirement for certified divers, or just to require them to have comprehensive insurance covering diving. My preference is for all over 50s to have a medical, as in my experience insurance companies, including DAN, are useless in this area and I have not seen one yet been able to provide any assistance to someone needing medical treatment and customers have been left to make their own transport arrangements with local fishermen, in cash, and then worry about trying to reclaim money back later.
Any help gratefully received!
Adam

Hi Adam...

I would fall into your over 50 model, although I have some experience diving... 40+ years, over 5000 dives, mainly in cold Great Lakes water.

I admire your efforts to reduce accidents and certainly taking steps to insure your guests are "qualified" to dive from a medical perspective seems sensible. My home base for diving is Tobermory Canada and over the past few years, there have been a few fatalities that our local coroner classifies as "death while diving", as opposed to "death from diving", primarily heart attacks on the surface while trying to get back to a boat after they screwed up their assent and didn't come up the line. It's the aquatic equivalent to Bob the Golfer dropping dead on the 17th as he trudges up a hill.

I don't know where you are, but it sounds like a typical destination for me. We are two weeks away from a trip to a remote caye off of Belize with the nearest chamber hours away. My favorite place in the world to dive is in northern British Columbia, Canada, where we have no phones or anything of the sort.

So, having said that, as someone who would not be taking a course, I would be resistant to agreeing to providing a current medical, only because it's a pain in the butt, and expensive. My doctor doesn't know diddly about diving anyway, so while the letter from him might make YOU feel better, in reality, it means nothing. I am 60 years old and have hypertension, but it is well controlled and poses no risk with diving. I exercise most days, and log 120+ dives annually, and most of these are in cold water, wearing doubles and stages... and frankly, it's the easiest and most fun I have in my life!

Unless your spot is so "special" that I have no alternative, I'd be inclined to go elsewhere since there are many options out there, and having to jump through this hoop with no apparent benefit to me, I would simply go elsewhere. I am routinely asked to complete a medical questionnaire when I am away diving, and I don't think anyone even looks at them. They are a form of legal protection I suppose.

Maybe the compromise would be to review the questionnaires and take anyone aside who you have concerns over. Explain that you are not a doctor, but review the additional risks as you perceive them. The obvious problem with that is that your guest has already spent the money to get there and he isn't going to be happy to be denied diving. Two years ago, when we were at the same spot in Belize, another guest was a gentleman of about 50, who weighed probably close to 400 pounds. He didn't smoke as far as I could see, but he was clearly out of shape, and was a brand new diver. He sucked a 120 cu ft tank dry in about 20 minutes, He couldn't climb the ladder without someone taking his gear off of him. He couldn't put his own fins on. I have become pretty friendly with the DMs at this place, and they were besides themselves in what to do about it. Fortunately, he was only there for three days and generally only did one or two dives a day, but had he had a heart attack, I doubt that it would have been possible to even get him back into our boat.

I think your post is perhaps a good indicator of a growing problem in our sport. The average diver is getting older. The average person is getting fatter. Together, this is a bad combination. There have been numerous articles and posts here about how to deal with this problem, and maybe the best solution is as you suggest... a medical pre-screening by the dive operation before the booking is accepted. I just don't think that most places have enough business that they are going to be willing to turn away the more affluent, older/fatter/asthmatic/hypertensive customer.

I suppose at the end of the day, if one of "us" drops dead while diving with you, it isn't your fault, it's just crappy and inconvenient.

However, perhaps pulling the risky client aside and explaining your concerns would at least give them a heads up about something that they may not have considered.

The reality is that 99% of dives are easy and breezy and for an obese old bugger, it's an awfully nice way to spend an hour.

Good luck with your challenge!

And post a link to your place! :)

Last edited:
Hi clarkey,

Where are you located? It's certain you won't see me there if you require medical clearance for all divers over 50. I'm 62, do more than 100 dives a year, can easily hold my own. I've been exercising 5-6 days a week my entire adult life.

My youngest regular dive buddy is 56. The oldest in in his mid 80s. I never worry about any of them as they are self-sufficient divers who have proven they can handle any dive we make. I'd be more concerned about young divers who only dive during warm water vacations.

While I can understand your consternation, I cannot support it. I have seen many older folk who don't keep fit and still think they can put on their gear once a year without refresher or preparation.

However, I too would resent the extra requirement because I am being tarred with the same brush as those with an unhealthy lifestyle.

No support here either. If it is a location that globally requires clearance, then yes, I would abide by your laws. But if it is a dive op arbitrarily imposing the requirement, I will spend my money elsewhere.

Thanks for the replies guys. I share your thoughts also, which is why I want to approach this matter sensitively, whilst at the same time making sure that customers are not taking undue risks. We are located in Little Corn Island, Nicaragua which has nothing more than a basis clinic with a part time nurse. The nearest island which is 8 miles away has a basic hospital, but for any proper medical facilities you need to travel to the nearest mainland port which means a 50 mile boat crossing (boats go twice a week) or a small plane. The best hospitals are in the capital, Managua which is an hour plane ride from our neighbouring island. The nearest chamber is 6-8 hours by boat, but there is no boat service to get there so it means renting a boat at a cost of around $1500, in cash (we have no bank or ATM here either!!)
We're not the only location with such challenges, and we have a number of divers over 50 who are just fine, as most of you are also I'm sure. The customer who had problems yesterday was not overweight, does not smoke, but as it turns out was feeling sick and had not drunk any water, both of which he failed to tell us. It is this kind of customer I want to protect, those that are not experienced and don't necessarily know what they are letting themselves in for.
When I have seen potential divers who are clearly in high risk categories then I have always exercised caution, and will continue to do so.
I guess the feedback here is that asking for a medical would be over the top, although to be honest if we lost a few customers to save a life then that's fine by me. It may be more appropriate though to just ask for proof of insurance for over 50s. I will continue to look at options, but thanks for your honest opinions!

I hope you make this very clear well before your customers show up. I would be miffed to have this sprung on me at the last moment.

I think he is just looking for feedback on this, but agree completely. The fact that Adam is proposing a doctor's approval obviously means that it would be known in advance.

The other issue this raises is how this would be coordinated. When I am booking a trip, I am booking flights. I don't want to book a flight only to be turned away later...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom