Diving only 2 days in Galapagos, what sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLdiver

Registered
Reaction score
I am going to Galapagos last week of November. I will be staying four days in San Cristobal to get some surfing and diving in before my 1 week non-diving cruise departs. I'm looking to dive 1 day in San Cristobal and 1 day in Santa Cruz (when the boat docks for the day, I'll go with either Sub-Aqua or Scuba Iguana). What dive sites did you like best on these Islands?

FLdiver:
I am going to Galapagos last week of November. I will be staying four days in San Cristobal to get some surfing and diving in before my 1 week non-diving cruise departs. I'm looking to dive 1 day in San Cristobal and 1 day in Santa Cruz (when the boat docks for the day, I'll go with either Sub-Aqua or Scuba Iguana). What dive sites did you like best on these Islands?

I think Mathias Espinosa of ScubaIguana now runs operations on both islands. He is my hands down favorite on Santa Cruz.

They will undoubtedly take you to Academy Bay, easy to play with Seals, always a few Reef Sharks and the resident sleeping Ray on steroids.

Gordon Rocks is a great dive if you are prepared for currents, downwellings and small boat recoveries.

As for SC dive sites I can not place any specific names.

Write them in advance with your arrangements www.scubaiguana.com

FLdiver:
I would also dive Gordon Rocks followed by a second dive at North Seymour or the small island located between Baltra and North seymour. There are plenty of Hammerheads, Whitetips, Turtles, Mantas and Sea Lions at these dive sites. Be prepared for currents and on some days the vis can be bad.

Have a good trip.

Again, apologies for cross posting...

Hi folks! Just thought I'd let you know about another option for land-based diving from San Cristobal Island.
Tranquilo Divers is a small dive operation recently started by a native of the island who has been working in diving and marine conservation internationally, most recently in Bali and Raja Ampat. He has returned to San Cristobal, Galapagos, with the aim to share with others the wonders of the underwater world he calls home. The operation itself is fairly new, but is backed up by an incredible team with a lot of experience, and currently offers complete land-based diving and tour packages as an alternative to the liveaboard model. Tranquilo Divers can also organize day diving trips to other islands, such as Espanola or Floreana, from your base at San Cristobal as well. One of the most amazing dive sites in the Galapagos Islands is Kicker Rock (schools of Galapagos sharks, silkies, eagle rays and of course, hammerhead sharks!), and it is only half an hour from the Port at San Cristobal! www.tranquilodivers.com

I would recommend Gordon Rocks off of Santa Cruz if possible, and your experience and comfort level pending. I also would choose North Seymour and Mosquera (the sandy islet mentioned above) as a second choice.
Keep in mind that the Galapagos National Park now also regulates the land-based diving operations´itineraries, so you may not get to choose a site if you are dependent on the day your cruise is there. Contact the operators directly to see which sites they have available on those days.
Have a blast!

Just thought I'd let you know about another option for land-based diving from San Cristobal Island.

Have a blast!

Based on the date of the original post, it looks like the OP went on his trip SIX years ago...

:shocked2:

Back
Top Bottom