Diving on the Mexican Riviera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrtractor

New
Reaction score
I'll be taking a cruise to the west coast of Mexico in November. Cabo, Mazatlan and PV. Are there any "must dives" in those ports? I'm not talking nitrous to 200 feet. Just a nice relaxing, interesting recreational dive for two certified divers that dive 3 or 4 times a year.

I'm all ears.......

MrTractor<--------doesn't like to stress out when he's on vacation, but likes a little adventure.......:)....

cabo is good, not sure about PV, and Matzatlan is a zero/nada zip- I'm taking the same cruise in September-Oct will let you know if you pm me at the first week of October.....

I can certainly recommend some very nice dives at Puerto Vallarta. If you're up for a deep dive (100 ft), Devil's Canyon at Los Arcos National Park is a must. If you rather do shallower dives, Los Arcos also offers "The Shallows of Christ" (We first go to the devil and then to Christ to redeem ourselves, haha). Majahuitas and Marietas also offer relaxed dives with hundreds of species of tropical fish to see as well as nudibranches and zillions other critters.

cheers.
Alex from PVScuba

Thanks for your responses. Now that I know that there are people actually watching this thread, I guess I should tell you more about our level of diving experience. We've never been below about 80 feet and that's about as far down as we want to go. We're both in our 50s and are not deep water certified. Something in the 60 foot range for a first dive and a 40+/- for the second dive is fine. All of our dives, other than certification dives in a quarry, have been done in the Carribean and Mexico. Are there any unique features or wildlife that we can see in this part of the world that we wouldn't see in the Caribbean? Shallow-water wrecks or cool rock formations? Diving with Mantas or Sea Lions? Barracudas, no problem, but no large sharks, please. I don't like them. I always feel like prey when I'm in the water with them around! It's their world, I'm just swimmin' in it!!!
MrTractor

The sea of Cortez has been called by Jacques C as the rookery of the Pacific. depending on what time of year you go, you will see all kinds of life. Sea lions are all in the area, I have seen Mantas, Angel fish, Dolphins, even a Whale or two off the Shore in san Carlos/Guaymas, and the Cabo area is just the southern end of the Sea. This is not the clarity of the Bahamas, but 40-80 feet is still in the realm. I have not dove off Pv yet, but I am sure the PV purveyor here will fill in that site.

BTW I am 55 and my wife is a real Newbie , so Super challenging dives are not in our horizon.

Our dive sites are charachterized by a large diversity of amazing rock formations, and we have nice ones at all depth levels, so you'll find the depths you're looking for.
We do have Giant Mantas, Eagle Rays, Turtles, and hundreds of species of tropical fish: Angels, Butterflies, Puffers, Parrots, Moray Eels, Surgeons, Stonefishes, lobsters, octopi, etc. etc...

Also, if you like nudibranches, we have zillions...

No sealions, barracudas, sharks (exept maybe a nurse shark or two), nor wrecks, I'm afraid

cheers. Alex from PVScuba

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom