Diving NZ and Vanuatu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NCBabs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

Hi all

Let me introduce myself, I’m Babs, some of you may already know me personally from diving the NC coast or thru Scuba Planners Dive Travel. If you haven’t visited the website www.scubaplanners.com please do. I love wreck diving and I highly recommend New Zealand diving the Lermontov and Santo Vanuatu diving the SS Coolidge, they are a must do wreck dives. The Lermontov is a Fully intact 600’ long Russian Ocean Liner at 120’ depth and the main decks are around 80-90’, the ballrooms and lounges were my favorite places and the massive propeller was awesome to see. There are so many places to explore from the bridge to cabin areas and engine room, spa, pool and bars. The Lermontov is know as the Andrea Doria of the South Pacific but recreational. You may have read the article in the last issue of Wreck Diving Magazine http://www.wreckdivingmag.com/ . It is dry suit diving at 55F in Oct which is NZ spring and the best time to go for viz. Here is a link for more info on the wreck http://www.nzmaritime.co.nz/ and for the Coolidge in Santo Vanuatu is warmer water and for both recreational and technical divers. The bow starts at 60’ and the stern sits over 200’ there is so much to see for the recreational diver the mid ship is around 100-120’. The Coolidge looks as the day she sank do to friendly mines with raffles to big guns, china, glassware and all sorts of artifacts. Your safety stop is just up from the bow where a reef is full of life from clownfish, pipefish, manta shrimp and many more creatures, this is one time I don’t mind the hang when there is a reef to look at. Another must dive is Million Dollar Point where the US dumped all the equipment in the ocean and now a massive pile of military equipment and 2 small wrecks. Staying at Aore resort in the beach bungalows and a great reef to snorkel right out your door, you can spend hours exploring the reef or take land tours to where the US base was during WWII that once had 100,000 troops pass thru.

If you are interested in more info I do have group trips going later this year with SHADOW DIVERS John Chatterton and Richie Kohler in Oct 2007. Dive with the Shadow Divers John and Richie and be part of an up coming issue of Dive Portal DVD Magazine. The new Dive Portal issue for June will have the NZ trip on it.

I do work with dive shops and clubs if you are interested in arranging any group trips we offer several dive destinations. I work with individuals as well. Don’t hesitate to contact me at www.scubaplanners.com

Stay wet and dive safe
Babs

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom