Diving newbie: cheap(er) options for underwater photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saumc

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi,
I am a newbie and looking for a cheap option for getting some decent underwater pics. I have a cannon power shot SX260 (it is not an underwater camera) - is it possible to use that with housing?

check out ebay (or alibaba) for used housings. canon made housings for many of their small cameras. you may be able to find one.

an alternative would be to purchase a new waterproof camera like the oympus tough line and then stay very shallow.

a point and shoot camera without external strrobe has a limited range of potential shot types, but they are capable of great shots within that range.

some people also use a gopro setup.

The Canon PowerShot D30 is relatively inexpensive, new at about $300, refurbished for about $225. It's rated as waterproof to 82', so slightly deeper is likely OK. Has a flash built in. It was one of the cameras I was looking at for my son before we found a good deal on s SeaLife 1400.

Shooting Underwater has the Ikelite housing for it but at $436 you can probably do better price-wise with a different camera/housing.

Amazon.com : Ikelite 6148.26 Underwater Camera Housing for Canon Powershot SX-240 HS and SX260 HS Digital Cameras : Camera & Photo

It looks like Adorama might still have one at $350 - they ship worldwide - but it's listed as special order so maybe not: Ikelite 6148.26 Underwater Housing f/Canon SX240/SX260 6148.26

The Canon housing for your camera is the WP-DC46. Maybe you can find one used on Ebay? Canon WP-DC46 Housing for Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Camera- WP-DC46- Canon WP-DC46 waterproof case protects your digital camera f

Hi,
I am a newbie and looking for a cheap option for getting some decent underwater pics. I have a cannon power shot SX260 (it is not an underwater camera) - is it possible to use that with housing?

The best - and nearly ONLY way - for a newbie to get decent underwater pics is to avoid diving with a camera until they have enough experience and skill to be able to hover motionless in the water column. If you can't do so - without touching bottom, grabbing the reef, propping yourself on coral, etc - leave the camera behind.

Don't be "that guy" with a camera. That guy gets crappy pics, damages the environment, and ruins the site/scene for everyone else.

dive_photography_guide.jpg

monteleethornton3june2006_%20078.jpg

960308-N-3093M-010_Navy_Photographic_Diver.jpg
10420796-diver-photographer-with-anemon-fish-Stock-Photo-diving-scuba-diver.jpg

9099692cc%20copy.jpg

I just purchased a SeaLife Micro HD+ at the Ohio Scubafest for $799. I was told it has a Macro Setting, but it doesn't. Trying to return for my cost or will sell it for my cost plus shipping. It has the Sea Dragon 2000Lumen Photo/Video/ Dive light. Would keep it if it had Macro setting because it looks like it would take great pictures and video.

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2015 at 01:05 PM ----------

Mt Sea Life Micro HD+ is new.

Hi,
yes, is it possible, Camera Housing can protect your camera while providing and you still can access to all key controls.
g.png

Back
Top Bottom