Diving Mornington in crappy conditions, hero3b did quite well with a little help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marty Cerven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Here Is a video I shot at Mornington in rubbish conditions for video at least, on the video it actually looks much better then it did down there. This site is always quite murky, not too deep at 10m max but normally has a bit of life around it and the surrounding reefs.

[video=youtube;M7VrpVMsbCw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=M7VrpVMsbCw[/video]

Filmed with a couple 3 blacks, one in 2.7k30 and the other in 1080p60. My friend using the other camera has never really used a camera underwater before. So I just set it up turned it on and said film things and I will see what I can do with it in editing. I had his on 1080p60 for 2 reasons, to compare against the 2.7k video and his lack of practice will likely have more stability issues helped out by the faster shutter speed and also allowing slowing in post if needed. 60p did surprisingly ok in this low light and even under the pier as he had no lights was still surprisingly ok with a filter on. I just kept his on at all times just to make things easier for him.

I tried some close up shots with macro filters but as I cant switch to pt on 1080p narrow underwater nearly all shots ended up very green and unrecoverable in post in the regular mode. The lights helped at times bringing the wb closer but trying to match the footage to the rest just didn't work shooting with auto wb in those conditions and no GR filter. Also it was quite surgy underneath so keeping still was nearly impossible so I just gave up on that idea lol.

Cam raw wb option and the GR filters helped it get some colours that you cant see with your own eyes, and made all video useable if needed. I look forward to some better dive conditions later this month but am impressed with how the 3 black can do in such crappy conditions and I see it a very useful upgrade over the earlier gopro's especially in such testing lighting conditions for the camera.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2013 at 08:30 PM ----------

Here is the same video this time showing side by side raw and graded.

[video=youtube;AMAMKoRQre0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMAMKoRQre0[/video]

The video itself was a pretty quick edit and if I took a bit more time I could have done a better job now that I compare it to the raw which I didn't see before.

It does show quite well what to expect from the hero3 black in PT on Cam Raw WB mode. In less then ideal video conditions where auto mode struggled without the filter just producing a green image mostly worse then what I was getting at 30m with a hero 2, with the filter the overall wb was better but still shifting and some green patches even at this depth with only 10m max but in this mode all 3hrs + of footage was pretty much as you can see in the raw shots with not a single frame being killed by what I call the auto WB bug in the gopro's.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom