Diving mittens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brit_medic

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

can anyone tell me of their experiences with dive mittens, what is good and bad about using them? I am considering getting a pair as my five finger gloves have seen better days and will soon need replacing and I am fed up with having frozen fingers.

Thanks

Neil

I used them on a couple of dives before I got my dry gloves. They were absolutely warmer. You do need to adjust to three-fingered gear manipulation and signaling your buddy.

I've tried lobster claws once and didn't like the restricted dexterity. I prefer to use 5 finger gauntlet gloves instead.

Brit_medic:
Hi,

can anyone tell me of their experiences with dive mittens, what is good and bad about using them? I am considering getting a pair as my five finger gloves have seen better days and will soon need replacing and I am fed up with having frozen fingers.

Thanks

Neil
I have both the 5 finger gloves and 3 finger mittens. The mittens are definitely warmer, and once you've gotten used to them, you'll see you can do almost anything with them you can with the 5 finger gloves, possibly even more as your hands are warmer and more dexterous. I rarely use my gloves, and only bought them as I needed Kevlar for what I was doing at the time.
C-Dawg

I switched to three finger mitts this summer after always having painfully cold fingers. The mittens are definetly warmer. However, initially they were harder to don, until I developed a technique (can't explain just learned how to wiggle my hands properly). Also practice manipulating your gear. The hardest for me has been deploying my smb.

All that said, there is no way I'm going back to five finger gloves in cold water unless they are dry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom