Diving Mexico Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NTJB

Registered
Reaction score
Looking to do a one week vacation in Mexico! We can go anywhere but would like to find a place where we can settle in and just dive every day. Big plus if there are other things other than diving as some of our group will not be diving all the time (though I will be).

I was thinking Cancun or Cozumel but, having never been to Mexico, I have no idea what to expect. Can you guys recommend me some places, dive shops, places to stay etc... for a nice dive trip in March? We are fairly new divers (50+ dives) just getting into our own gear and welcome deeper and more challenging dives, though some of us are purely recreational travel divers that dive a few times a year.

I was thinking Cozumel since I hear and read a lot about it. What's the best way to get to Cozumel from Cancun or do most Cancun dive ops dive Cozumel anyway? Is Cozumel suitable for new divers trying to get certified?

Stay away from Cancun. Seriously.
Coz is wonderful but the dives can be a bit technical (current, wall) so you should have some experience
I like Isla Mujeres for chill relaxing dives and a nice dinner / bar scene at night.
Tulum is great for the cenotes but not for the faint of heart if you don't like overheads
I've heard nice things about Puerto Morelos but never been.

I know nothing about the left coast, if that's where you are.

Stay away from Cancun. Seriously.
Coz is wonderful but the dives can be a bit technical (current, wall) so you should have some experience
I like Isla Mujeres for chill relaxing dives and a nice dinner / bar scene at night.
Tulum is great for the cenotes but not for the faint of heart if you don't like overheads
I've heard nice things about Puerto Morelos but never been.

I know nothing about the left coast, if that's where you are.

Thanks! Flying in from the East Coast so trying to stick to the Carribean side. Definitely no cenotes or caves for us this trip. Is Isla Mujeres an island we can stay on for a week and not get too bored? It sounds like we'd prefer the more technical dives in Cozumel. Any thoughts on staying on Isla Mujeres vs Cozumel?

you might get bored on both, tbh. I've never stayed in the tourist area on Coz but they get the big cruise ships so there's that "Scene" to contend with.

Isla is smaller, quiet, no big giant hotels, no cruise ships and nice local restaurants as well as some expat ones. Diving wise, I prefer Coz. Lifestyle and get away from it all, I prefer Isla. Dives are shallow-ish, little to no current (except for C58 wreck which can get a little hairy on the surface), good sealife (always an eagle ray and turtle somewhere).

Oh, and you can get cheap airbnb's on the north end of the island which is where all the good stuff is.

Would recommend Cozumel. Regardless of your experience level, it has some great diving. Some of the easiest diving you will find - drop in, descend, and drift with your guide. You do not have to worry about fighting currents, going the wrong direction, or getting lost. When you are ready to ascend, he/she will blow a bag and you just follow the line up. The boat will be there within a few minutes.

I do not think there would be an issue of a new diver getting certified in Cozumel but maybe a Cozumel instructor can chime in.

Probably less for non-divers to do at Cozumel but it could include a tour of the island, some small Mayan ruins, the East beaches, a day downtown, a day trip to Playa or to Tulum to see the ruins. Other ruins are at Chichen Itza and Coba. I would not suggest an AI plan (other than breakfast) as there are too many great restaurants downtown.

From Cancun airport to Coz, take ADO bus or a prepaid shuttle such as Canada Transfers to the ferry at Playa del Carmen. The shuttle will get you close and the bus station is basically across the street. Take the ferry to Coz and then a taxi to your hotel. I think there is a flight from CUN to COZ or you could fly directly to Cozumel.

Lots of information in the Cozumel section and in TA. Lots of good dive operators in Coz.

Have a good trip.

Dive Aventuras in Puerto Aventuras.
Morning and afternoon dives if you would like. Cenote diving, which everyone should try. Close to several "adventure" parks. Tulum ruins.
Fly into Cancun and they can arrange transportation to and from the airport.

Cozumel. All the other diving between Cancun and Tulum is pretty boring, aside from caves/cenotes, which you said you weren't interested in.

Thanks everyone! I will take a read through the Coz forum as well. I think I've boiled it down to staying on Coz but I have a couple more questions:

--I changed my mind and would like to get a couple dives in the Cenotes (though it may just be me), is this something that can be arranged with a dive op in Coz including transport etc? I assume these are all on the mainland as opposed to on the islands.
--Is it possible to dive Isla Mujeres dive sites from Coz? I would love to explore different dives sites but would prefer not to have to change accommodations, unless you guys think it's worth a split? We are looking at 7 full days of diving (with one day on arrival and 2 days at the end with no diving before flights). Are there enough dive sites and variety around Coz not to get bored of the diving?
--Do dives need to be booked well in advance in Coz? My experience in Belize, Panama, and the Bahamas is that you can generally show up the day before to secure your spot on the boat for the following day (and that's the way we prefer to do it in case we want to change dive shops during the trip).
--We are definitely planning to get an Airbnb. Is there any area in Coz that is recommended? Prefer to be close to the restaurants, dive shops, etc of course.

contact matt at tank ha in playa del carmen. he can help you arrange any cenote diving on the main land. tell him rick and melissa from canada sent you !! the cenotes dives are south of playa
Cenote Cavern Diving – Tank-Ha Dive Center, Playa del Carmen

plenty of dive options on coz. you will not be bored.

always a good idea to arrange your dives in advance. especially if going during peak season. when you are only there for a week you don't want any hassles when you arrive.

i would stay in town or walking distance to town if i was there for a week. lots of food choices. plenty of dive ops to choose from. however, if you want to be on the beach you will need to stay south of town. the all inclusives down there are a much shorter boat ride to the southern sites.

Back
Top Bottom