Diving Loch Ness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cmos

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am travelling the UK and will be around Loch Ness towards end April.
Does anyone have an idea who the best local dive charters are to dive with there?
What is the water temp like? Is dry suit required?

Thanks

I dived there in 1995, and yes DRY SUIT, viz will be very limited due to the peaty water, to be honest not much point in diving it apart from saying been three done that.

Head over to Oban and go diving with Puffin Divers, west coast has some good underwater scenery.

There aren't any charters operating out of Loch Ness, and whilst there are a few shore dives in it - they are dark, can be deep, and not very exiting unless you like peat. It does make a very pleasant few days kayaking from Inverness to Fort William and back however - much better way to spend time. Loch Duich and Loch Carron aren't very far away - both of which have good shore dives - there is a dive charter rib based out of Loch Carron, but never used him.
Water is about 8 deg at the moment - may have sneaked up to 9 deg by the end of the month

I dived there in a midget sub many years ago and the vis was ,frankly, appalling. I wouldn't bother doing any shore diving and AFAIK there are no diving charters operating on the Loch. I can't see how one could make a living on Loch Ness TBH.

Lot's of shore diving slightly further afield or you could try;

Diver Training and Diving Trips at Lochcarron on the West Coast of Scotland

or

Welcome to North East Dive

A dry suit is a necessity in Scotland plus you should bear in mind that the vast majority of UK diving from charter boats is done by group bookings rather than individuals rocking up and being taken for a group dive lead by a DM.

The only place I know of that offers that kind of service is Puffin in Oban;

Puffin Dive Centre - Scuba Diving, Commercial Diver Training

Opinions of Puffin's service vary widely.

Or Ballahuillish Slates isnt far away, I know it's a training site, but there is plenty to see there, loads of loch anenomes, biggish fish, peacock worms etc - vis was around 15m there 2 weeks ago - and the added bonus of the Clachaig Inn just a few miles away which can be sort of made to be on the way home - for a (very) extended decompression stop :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom