Diving is Frustrating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay Roy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Or should I say lack of diving is frustrating. I'm starting to think that diving is not a good sport to get into, unless you have a close friend that doesnt have a huge amount of experience. Otherwise, your never going to get in the water. Last winter I thought that I needed a new hobby, and decided diving was it. I took the OW course, did my checkouts down south and was loving every minute of it. I knew that not knowing anyone in the sport might be a problem. So I did some research and joined a dive club. But as far as I can tell, the only club trip planned so far is August long weekend. There was 35 bucks well spent. Buying all the gear was a rather large investment, I think I'd rather use it before August. Anyway, its a nice day out, I think I'll hit the links.

And no doubt your golf clubs and lessons were not expensive...

Find yourself a buddy or two, perhaps from this board or your local club, then explore your area. I have never dived in Canada, but I am certain there are many great spots that are easily accessible. Go when you can.

I dive the same areas more than once and learn new things about them each time I go. Keep your chin up and your fins level.

Good Luck!

there are several clubs in ontario which are a lot more active then the one you speek of. Talk to your Local Dive Store im sure they have people diving out from there.

eric

Hey,
I'm a newer diver too, I just meet people on this board and I belong to a local club just to make some contacts. You'll soon find some people maybe 1 or 2 even that like your speed and you go diving more and move. As for the club dives, do they have meetings? Maybe get some contacts there.

Good luck,
Craig.

leftwinger27:
Or should I say lack of diving is frustrating. I'm starting to think that diving is not a good sport to get into, unless you have a close friend that doesnt have a huge amount of experience. Otherwise, your never going to get in the water. Last winter I thought that I needed a new hobby, and decided diving was it. I took the OW course, did my checkouts down south and was loving every minute of it. I knew that not knowing anyone in the sport might be a problem. So I did some research and joined a dive club. But as far as I can tell, the only club trip planned so far is August long weekend. There was 35 bucks well spent. Buying all the gear was a rather large investment, I think I'd rather use it before August. Anyway, its a nice day out, I think I'll hit the links.

Hey leftwinger27, I located a dive buddy last year by simply posting on the OFWF's section. I've since completed many dives with the guy, 65+ anyway.

leftwinger27:

When i was just starting, i found a local store that had an active sport diving schedule (in my case that was Scuba2000, but i am sure there tons of other stores all over Ontario that have scheduled dives almost every weekend). Northern Tech Diver in Kingston has weekly club dives as well. I met some equally skilled buddies that way.

Then i took some additional courses, not because i wanted a card or smth, but because i knew i would meet more divers with common interest (photography) - met more buddies that way too

Once i felt more confident in my skills, i started signing up for charters - they will always pair you up with a buddy

Than there are boards like this one

Lots of way to meet buddies in this sport - you've gotta make the initial effort though.

You did not say where you are in Ontario - that could have helped too.

Well, sure, golf gear and lessons cost money. However, you dont need anyone else to go with you, if you wake up and want to golf, you go.
The club that I joined WAS thru my local dive shop. I just wasnt aware of how inactive they are. Anyone know of any other clubs in Hamilton, or close to it that actualy go diving??

PM sent

I was a left winger too (Jersey number, 9). Broke a guys arm, then someone else broke my tooth (cross checked), and then packed it in for something safer like falling out of planes, then I got a tad older and decided to go where I couldn't breathe too well without help.

Im a centre, think my jersey is number 9 this summer too, I'd have to look, 25 years in leagues and 4 root canals later still playing, just got home from diving now my hockey gears packed and I'm off to the rink, game 2 of the summer league.

Leftwinger27, stick your nose in and you'll find loads of people in similar skill level and predicament. If you'd of posted this yesterday you could of joined us today.

Scuba_Steve:
PM sent

I was a left winger too (Jersey number, 9). Broke a guys arm, then someone else broke my tooth (cross checked), and then packed it in for something safer like falling out of planes, then I got a tad older and decided to go where I couldn't breathe too well without help.

Back
Top Bottom