diving in Vancouver area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watersprite

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Vancouver B.C. for next January. I hadn't thought of scuba diving there until I read in a travel guide that the winter is actually the best time to go diving because of the best visibility.

I have a couple of questions though... maybe some locals or others who dove there could help me out?

What would be a nice place to go diving in the Vancouver area?

How cold is it? LOL I guess you guys dive in dry suits?
I never dove in a dry suit before, so I'd also like to know how I can learn to dive in a dry suit before I go diving there?
Do you guys have any recommendations for a good dive school that offers a courses on diving in dry suits? And what would a course for diving in dry suits be like? Would it take a couple of days to learn it? Or can you learn it on one day? And what about the prices of such courses, approximately?

I know, lots of questions... :) I really need to plan things as I'll be staying there for 1,5-2 weeks, so not enough time to sort things out when I get there I'm afraid... I also wonder if it would be worth it to take a course there, instead of asking some of my scuba friends here to teach me to dive in a dry suit. I don't have a clue how difficult it is to dive in dry suit.

If I decide to do some dives there, would there be anyone who is interested in diving together as well?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Watersprite

Go to www.nwdivenews.com click on check out this month's issue and then click on page 38. There you will find the listings for the local dive shops/charters in Vancouver. I'm sure they all have web sites and should be able to answer all of your questions. The diving in Canada is about the best cold water diving around. Good luck.

Hello,

Here's some help for ya:

How cold is it? LOL I guess you guys dive in dry suits? --->The water temp in January is generally between 40 - 50 degrees. Most people dive dry suit, but you can dive in a 7 mm wetsuit with reasonoble comfort.

I never dove in a dry suit before, so I'd also like to know how I can learn to dive in a dry suit before I go diving there? --->Contact your local dive centre in your area or look at the following links (I have used these schools): http://www.diveidc.com/ http://www.kochersdiving.com/

Do you guys have any recommendations for a good dive school that offers a courses on diving in dry suits? --->See links for the previous question.

And what would a course for diving in dry suits be like? Would it take a couple of days to learn it? Or can you learn it on one day? --->You would have 1 pool session and 1 open water session to receive your PADI certification for Dry Suit specialty (required for dry suit rental)

And what about the prices of such courses, approximately? --->Around $200 Canadian

The city of Vancouver area is not the best place to dive. You are best to travel up to the Sunshine Coast (1.25 hrs by Ferry) or to Vancouver Island (Nanaimo, Campble River and Port Hardy) this takes about 2 hours by ferry and then anywhere from 15 min by car to Nanaimo or 5 hours by car to Port Hardy (not very good up there in Jan due to weather). Most of the dive shops in the Vancouver area run trips to these places often.

I would be happy to go diving with you if I am in town. I expect that I will be in Montreal at the time, but PM me on this site a few weeks before you want to go and I will have a better idea then. A really good dive would be up to the Sunshine coast and dive the Chardier (300 foot destroyer) and the 737 (Boeing Passenger jet), then head off to Tazoonie narrows for some nature dives!! It would be a good 2 day (4 - 5 dive) trip from Vancouver!!

Anyway, best of luck to you. Hope to hear from you closer to January.

Jimi

thanks for the replies, ColdH20diving and Jimi! Very helpful!

The idea of scuba diving in a wet suit in January doesn't appeal to me at all.. brrr.... so I might learn how to dive in a dry suit here. :) I found an instructor who could teach me that free of charge as well. As I'm on a budget, that works out better than doing an entire "PADI Specialty Course" in Vancouver!

Jimi, I might contact you when it gets closer and if I decide to go for scuba diving near Vancouver or Nanaimo! Thanks! I look forward to going to Vancouver and perhaps seeing what the marine life is like out there!

Watersprite

WaterSprite ... if you're limited to Vancouver, I recommend BC Dive Adventures (http://www.bcdiveadventures.com). They have two stores ... one in North Vancouver and another downtown.

They also rent drysuits, which not everyone does.

And they have a small charter operation that runs out of Howe Sound, just north of Vancouver. I've dove with them before, and it's pretty nice diving ... especially in winter when vis can run 60 or 70 feet. The dive sites are mostly pinnacles and walls, with lots to see. My very best encounter with a harbor seal happened on one of those dives.

As others have said, the premium diving is over on Vancouver Island. There is some great diving out of Nanaimo and Victoria ... you just have to take a ferry to get there. If this isn't an option for you, give BC Dive Adventures a try.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

thanks Bob, will keep it in mind...

60 or 70 feet visibility sounds pretty good!

Not sure if I will dive with these temperatures though... it might be kind of crazy to go diving. 40-50 Fahrenheit is equal to 5-10 C degrees I believe. I found 15 C degrees (about 60 F) cold already when getting to lower depths (12m = about 39 feet?)! :)
I'll see how the dry suit diving goes before I decide to go diving or not. :)

I had a look at the site of BC Dive Advantures. It looks like they organise some nice day trips. Have you dived at any of the Indian Arm Dive destinations as well? Is that good? I see there's a lot of boat traffic there and that the visability may not always be as good?

Watersprite

Hey there...

Sorry, I can't help you with places to dive in the Vancouver area... but if you decide to come to Vancouver Island.. don't hesitate to contact me!! I live in Victoria and have dove out of Nanaimo & Victoria (obviously).. and have a pretty good idea of what sites are worth diving... and which aren't as good (especially if you are on a tight timetable!!)

NavyDoll

:scuba:

Yes, most people wear dry suits around here, and I've never gotten too chilly in mine - depends how "warm of a person" you are, I guess. You can always pack on more fleece clothing under the suit...

I agree with the comments about Vancouver Island: some good stuff around Victoria, great wrecks off of Nanimo (one 300 foot and one 450 foot), and unbelievable stuff up in Port Hardy.

As for the Vancouver area, Whytecliff Park is the closest and probably mostly popular dive site. The bay at Whytecliff is a good place to start if you are feeling a bit unsure on your first drysuit dive, and you'll still get to see lots of sunflower stars and pluemous anemones. But honestly, diving in a drysuit is not a big deal, I definitely don't believe it requires speciality certification. A one-off "drysuit orientation" is all you need. Once you dive dry, you'll never go back!

Other dives are Porteau Cove, about 40 minutes north, and Ansell, which is fairly close to Whytecliff, amongst others.

I highly, HIGHLY recommend Ocean Quest Water Sports for any training or gear. Truly amazing staff, the owner is a PADI course director who teaches most of the instructor classes in the area. The website is a bit dated, but the shop is wonderful: www.diveoceanquest.com. I've been nothing short of ecstatic, diving with them. And they can hook you up with all manner of dive trips.

Have fun! And don't worry about the cold water - takes no time to get used to, and it makes you feel like you're really outdoors!

C.

Navydoll, thanks! It kind of depends on my budget if I can make it to Nanaimo or not. I've been there before and found it very beautiful there, so I'd LOVE to go back to Vancouver island as well! I do have to see if it'll work out or not with money. If I decide to go, I'll definitely contact you! Do you regularly check these forums? Or can I e-mail you?

Chucky, thanks for that website. I have the chance to learn and exercise diving in a dry suit every week in December so I guess I'll just go for it to see if I'm doing OK in a dive suit or not.
The dive school you recommended require people to be Advanced and have at least 30 dives if they want to go on the Nanaimo trip though... I am Advanced, but I have only 20 dives... not sure if the swimming pool exercises will count as "dives"...? LOL Oh well, I'll make sure I'll log them... :)

Thanks for all your help! I'm getting really excited about diving there!

Watersprite

Back
Top Bottom