Diving in the USA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverjed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Where to dive in the USA?

I find Little information about the little diving holes that exist that us wanna be dive travelers know about with the exception of the locals.

Web info is scarce.

Dive Mags center on primarily tropical warm water diving that the majority of us are lucky to do once every two years.

I don't mind some low vis (within reason), colder temps (again within some sane rationale); If I can depart a dive site with even the most pedestrian of experiences (simply penetrating the underwater world will do it), then it beats a good day at work or
a day sitting on my ass watching the rest of the world go by.

So who out there can share info with us fellow divers who are looking to get wet or 'wet-dry' on a boring Sunday afternoon.

Obscure Lake Diving; River Diving; Pond Diving, etc., Quarries; Anything goes.

Centering in on The continental US, help us land locked divers DIVE!

Please include locale and directions. And anything else.

No, I don't usually talk to myself, but I can write about some of my personal diving experiences and spots worth checking out for the avid of the avid:

1. Lake Champlain USA- I used to live in this region. Very little promotion is done for this nationwide, but there is some interesting diving here. Once a major waterway for Colonial America, Lake Champlain experienced two major battles in the fight for indy. 1776, the battle of Valcour Isle, and 1812, the battle of Plattsburgh. So the history is there and so are some of the remnants of the history. Divers diving in the Cumberland Bay Area of the Plattsburgh, NY side of the lake have been known to come up with Cannonballs, musket shot, anchors (of which I have one); Great for bottle collectors (over two hundred years of bottles to collect) and other scavenger hunters. What I found cool is that you can do a fair amount of shore diving across different points of the lake and at least see one or two things interesting. There may be retrievable items, and the underwater geology poses some interests as well at varying locales. You're practically guaranteed to find 'something' on each and every dive there. Including the infamous treasure.

And then there are the wrecks, most dating back to the nineteenth century. For detailed info contact JOnes Diving @ 518 963-1150 518 562-DIVE ; The Waterfront dive shop in Burlington, Vermont @ 214 Battery St. Burlington Vermont 05401

(802) 865-2771

They are functional and can also provide dive site maps and assist with charters if you want to hit the wrecks. If you possess your own boat, , then you're in further luck.

Lake George, NY-

Approximately one and a half hours south of Champlain, the situation is ditto as far as historical diving is concerned. Probably it's most famous site is the 'Radeau', the oldest impact shipwreck in North America, dating back to 1758 and the French & Indian War. British troop transport, quite a site. My guide tells me that indian canoes and other goodies may be found in the lake as well from dive to dive. Similar to Lake Champlain, you can take in the
Underwater glacial formations and deposits.

I can't recall the name and number of my guide there but there is info on the web about diving in Lake George:

(518-885-8554). For more information, contact the Lake George Chamber of Commerce at (518) 668-5755.

Also, speaking of diving in that Adirondack Region, an old instructor spoke of diving in the Mirror Lake of Lake Placid, NY. He spoke of an underwater horse and buggy carriage that fell through the ice way back when in yesteryear. Anyone out there in cyber ville know of this?

Unfortunately my favorite dive sites a further away from you than the ocean is.

Nevertheless, my favorites are:

The Firehole River in Yellowstone Park. It is a popular, properly marked, swimming hole on the Firehole River Loop Road. 30+ feet deep. Elevation about 6000 feet. Water temp aprox. 70 degrees in the summer. Beginning divers may want someone to show them around the first time. I would call it an intermediate dive due to current, vis, minor entanglement hazards and just spook factor.

Blue Lake, 20 miles south of Wendover Nevada. Easy, fun and relaxed diving in a large hot spring (or small heated lake depending on your outlook.) 50+ feet deep. Elev. aprox 4300 feet. Stays around 70 degrees year around. Vis can be 30 to 40 feet. Diverse bottom in that it has a variety of hills. Very freindly fish and home made sculptures to find. Several warm hot bubbling springs that are bubbling sand. Springs are about 85 degrees and not dangerous. Very popular spot. Good for beginning divers.

For more Utah diving check this out. (We need one of these pages for every State in the good ole' USA.)

http://www.utahdiving.com/

:)

Hope that helps. Oh... and wlcome to the board!

It's a start.

Thanx, you're right, most states need dive info such as this.

That is amazing, all those lakes offering available diving.

Something different and this is the kind of info I'm looking for.

Keep it coming people!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom