Diving in the Sargasso Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kazak

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I'm new to the board, been reading threads awhile. For a long time now I've been fascinated by the Sargasso Sea, and I would love to dive there. I have been unable to find a dive operator on the web that goes out there.

Does anyone have info on diving or dive operators in the Sargasso Sea??

Kazak

Hi Kazak,

The Sargasso Sea is approximately in the mid-Atantic Ocean, entirely exposed, subject to rough weather and sea state conditions, and has no reef structure for diving.

It would only be reachable by liveaboard and for obvious reasons none make this trip. The area is of occasional interest to research teams who make their own arrangements.

Regards,

DocVikingo

What Doc said. If you were a decent open water sailor I would recommend renting a large sailboat and heading out there yourself in the summertime (when it's calmer). Unfortunately, sail-powered craft have a tendency to get *stuck* there for protracted periods. The doldrums, it's called.

Thanks Doc, Archman

I've seen some footage done by research vessels in the Sargasso, and I know the history of the area. I've recently become interested in mid water diving, and the Sargasso has a fascinating variety of pelagic life that I would love to see.

I know the difficulties involved, perhaps that's why I can't find any recreational divers who have been there.

Kazak

I too am interested in going out to the Sargasso and snorkeling/diving. Has anyone found a way out there? I can't even find any satellite photos.

We're having massive Sargasso weed patches washing ashore in South Florida at the moment. The best you may be able to do is to get a local boat here to take you out to the weed lines off shore. (the western edge of the Gulf Stream roughly 3-7 miles off shore in Broward county depending on conditions) It's technically not the Sargasso Sea, but the conditions are very similar.

We're having massive Sargasso weed patches washing ashore in South Florida at the moment. The best you may be able to do is to get a local boat here to take you out to the weed lines off shore. (the western edge of the Gulf Stream roughly 3-7 miles off shore in Broward county depending on conditions) It's technically not the Sargasso Sea, but the conditions are very similar.
Do the "very similar" conditions include the endemic fishes and wildlife of the Sargasso Sea? I figure that is probably what interests the OP and any others of us (like myself) who are interested in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom