Diving in the Miami Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonnyQuest

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greeting all,
My wife and I are thinking about relocating from Seattle to Miami. I was wondering about the shore diving or technical diving in the Miami or North areas. The one nice thing about diving in Seattle is we have a few nice shore dive spots that all it take is gas (both truck and Rebreather) money to go dive. Since I dive a CCR, I was wonder what dive clubs and what is the diving like.

Do you own white loafers and belt? Cause you're going to need those.

I've been trying to talk my wife into a Miami move for years now. There's some mediocre diving in town, but where it's at is the short drive time to GREAT diving. An hour south and you're in Key Largo. 90 minutes north and you're at Blue Heron Bridge. Both directions result in world class boat dive sites, and BHB is the best muck dive site outside of Asia.

Top that off with Miami having google fiber available (1gbit internet for approx $100/mo), and it's heaven in my opinion.

upload_2020-1-27_11-15-40.png
Scuba Earth by DiveBuddy.com | DiveBuddy.com

slightly north of miami is "Lauderdale by the sea".. my go to shore diving site with the reef less than 100yds eastward...

Most Florida diving is boat based. I have never dived Lauderdale by the Sea but it is a Miami area shore dive. The Blue Heron Bridge is great. It can get crowded on the week ends. But the week days are good.

There's only 2 shore dives in SE Florida that might be worth a tank fill and that's Lauderdale by the Sea (LBS) ust off Fort Lauderdale and Blue Heron Bridge in West Palm.

Having dived both I can tell you that LBS is hardly worth the long swimout which can take a 1/2 hr or more, sometimes battling current that can sweep a diver far along the coat requiring a long walk back the beach with gear, plus waves, lots of boat traffic, and requiring a diver to tow a flag. It's completely unnecessary to do all that when that reef is regularly visited by local dive boats. The reef itself is lackluster, but probably beats a great day at work.

Blue Heron Bridge can be more interesting, the entry is off the beach and is usually done only at high slack due to low visibility and current other times, but locals have told me they sometimes get a good dive in at times other than high slack.

There are several large Meetup groups of South Florida resident divers that have various favorite shore dive locations in the area that they feel is worth a tank fill or two. Being a local gives the flexibility of time and access if conditions at any one site is not ideal. If you think Florida shore diving is hard, then I guess California shore diving is out of the picture.

Most Florida diving is boat based. I have never dived Lauderdale by the Sea but it is a Miami area shore dive. The Blue Heron Bridge is great. It can get crowded on the week ends. But the week days are good.

On Saturday (1-25-2020), batfish, frogfish, eagle rays, scorpion fish, and the other usual suspects. Easy inexpensive way to see strange creatures in 15 to 20 ft of water.

if you don't like lauderdale by the sea and blue heron bridge is to far there is always the jacks in hollywood florida...just sayin".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom