Diving in the Bahamas 20 years later?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

threeopus3

Reaction score
Friends,

When I was a kid I had the chance to do a lot of diving in the Bahamas - was certified with Stuart Cove, dove the out islands - Harbor Island, Exuma, Eluthra... The diving was incredible.

20 years later, I'm more familiar with places that are further away. And I've read a lot about the bleaching of the reefs in the Bahamas and over-fishing.

I'm wondering, are the reefs in the Bahamas still good? Or am I better off saving my money and going a bit further. I'm considering Belize. But I live in Toronto, and like the idea of a less expensive trip to somewhere closer.

Is the diving the still good in the Bahamas? Is September a good month for visibility, or will regional storms have churned everything up?

Thanks.

Thing is with global climate change and development related problems, it is hard to out run the impacts. I started diving in the Bahamas in the early 1970's, have things changed since then? Yes, they have. But then again, the same could be said of many, most, other areas in the Caribbean that come to mind, Cozumel, Roatan, Belize, Grand Cayman, Bonaire ... the list goes on.

I was just over there two weekends ago off Freeport/Lucaya of all places and had a great time. They have some of the largest patches of elkhorn that I have seen anywhere since the die off in the early 1980's. The visibility was 125 ft. the first day there. The operator even said he thinks about not leaving the dock when visibility is less than 70 ft.?! I think he even might have been serious. It was Fred with Grand Bahama Scuba. I've visited the Abacos, Biminis, New Providence, the Berry's, East End of GBI, Mores Island, Andros in the last few years and there have been impacts in all these places but still great sights to be seen. I've noticed visibility drop off in many areas that I've visited in the Caribbean, even Belize. I was surprised it was that good off the Freeport area. September is still a prime tropical storm month for the entire Caribbean and the Bahamas. If there aren't any storms, it won't be an issue, still August through October are the months of highest risk.

So, will the reefs look like what you saw in your childhood, anywhere? Perhaps not but the question is do you still enjoy diving in clear, warm tropical waters with abundant life and sights still to be seen? I wrestled with that question but decided, yes, I still do enjoy the experience and like visiting varied UW destinations.

Thanks for the perspective Rick. Sometimes it is easy to over think these things - yes, diving is diving is great. And, yes, reefs have been impacted over the past two decades. I suppose, that is just a truth. Likewise, diving is probably better now than it will be in two decades, so it's time to get out there.

Hi threeopus3,,,

i was down in Stanial Cay ,Exuma for 10 years from about 88' to 98',,,i had the dive shop there,,,did you get down that far?

it was great diving down the Exuma,,and old Stuart is a buddy of mine,,,

Back
Top Bottom