Diving in Southwestern Germany or Luxembourg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a lot of lakes in that part of the world. We lived in Luxembourg and the lake there can be dived all year round. SCUBA.LU - Dive Sites - Haute Sûre

it is not the most interesting place but it can be very nice in high summer when the shoals of fish fry are in the warm upper part of the water. There are plenty of pike all year round. It does freeze over now and then (less now as the world warms up) and can be a passable ice dive.

Bodensee is a the best known lake I think and has a couple of wrecks if I remember. I used to visit a German dive forum but my anti-virus is stopping me now from looking at it.

There are some cave dives going south if that is your thing. We took up cave diving when we lived in Luxembourg as it offered the most opportunity to dive.

It is true that the artificial lake of Esch/Sûr in northern Luxembourg is very popular for divers coming from Belgian, France and Germany. The main reason is that there are almost no restrictions, you go there and dive. You have training platforms in Lultzhausen, submerged bridges etc etc. However visibility can be very, very bad, sometimes close to nil and the water level can vary a lot. Lately it was actually closed to all water sports activities from end of July to beginning of November because of blue algues. The same happened last year.
Patrick

The are a couple nice quarries in eastern Belgium that may be worth checking out, La Gombe and Lillé....they are only about 2hr50 from Saarbrucken.

Usually one needs a reservation to dive La Gombe in the morning but not in the afternoon...when we head out there, we typically will dive Lillé in the morning, have steak on stone for lunch at their restaurant, and then head over to La Gombe for an afternoon dive. Our club is about 2 hrs + on the west side of Belgium.

-Z

... have steak on stone for lunch at their restaurant, ...

I do remember the food at Lillé being very very good - much better than the diving :D

Gombe has some great fish in it particularly the sturgeon which are big and weird looking. Definitely worth a trip at least once for that.

There is also Rochefontaine (http://www.rochefontaine.be/) which has a boat at 30m if you can actually see it but some spectacular carp in the shallow part. Food there is good as well. (And great beer).

I do remember the food at Lillé being very very good - much better than the diving :D

Gombe has some great fish in it particularly the sturgeon which are big and weird looking. Definitely worth a trip at least once for that.

There is also Rochefontaine (http://www.rochefontaine.be/) which has a boat at 30m if you can actually see it but some spectacular carp in the shallow part. Food there is good as well. (And great beer).

If one is willing to drive out to Rochefontaine then there are a few other options as well such Vodelée, La Croissette (Vodecée), Villers-Deux-Eglise, Barrages Lac de l'eau d'heur, and possibly floreffe.

If you are not a cold water diver and want to satisfy the itch to blow bubbles underwater and farting in your bathtub is not cutting it, then there is TODI, just a bit west of Liege and Masstricht, which is an intersting indoor facility where you can dive with lots of fish.

-Z

an old Rover TC has been totally cleaned and submerged this week in la Gombe by homeland ministry divers...

0819rover-gombe2020-02-27-Blistein-D.jpg

0819rover-gombe2020-02-27-Blistein-D

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom