Diving in South Africa Safe? Reunion Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I am considering take a trip next year to Reunion Island. Is this a safe place to dive? After doing some research today I've been seeing there are a lot of shark attacks in the area. I love sharks and would like to see them while diving but .. duh.. I don't want to be in danger of running into any deadly sharks.

August 5th 2012
French Surfer Attacked By Bull Shark - Loses Hand & Foot
[video=youtube;PonqIXQb76c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PonqIXQb76c[/video]

Hey Adam, never been to Reunion (although would like to!), but did just spend 3 months diving South Africa, Mozambique, Kenya and Tanzania and have also dove in Madagascar another trip. I see from your other post you're spending a year traveling, so if you're interested in info about the region outside of Reunion for some addtional options, hit me up. Did dive with bull sharks on several dives in SA, including on one where we had 5 in the water with us, and didn't have any problems.

That report was sensationalist crap. Talking about a Bull Shark and showing dubious pics of a Great White? Reunion is off the South African coast? Huh?

oh yeah...don't even know how many thousands of pics..no video though. Fav place in the region was Tofo in Mozambique..def get there if you can. Otherwise, hard to pick a favorite from among Sodwana Bay, Aliwal, and Protea Banks...but probably Protea due to some of the best shark viewing opportunities I've had anywhere. You were talking about bulls sharks..here's a pic of one from there 20120428-_-40  fb.jpg

Hi Adam, if it's not too late, I was in Reunion in March 2010. I stayed in St Leu, it seemed like that was the place for diving. Although, I don't remember if that was a seasonal thing. The name of the hotel was Iloha - very nice but a little on the expensive side. Good food also if I remember right. Actually, good food all over Reunion - maybe due to the French influence. I also enjoyed the volcano hiking and other similar topside activities. I dove with BleuOcean and can recommend them. They seem to have a pretty active dive club there that also uses them regularly. I wouldn't worry about the sharks - they seem to know what they are doing. But they do like to dive deep at BleuOcean (for their first dive of the day). Some sites do have strong current.

Out of curiosity, why are you thinking about Reunion? I enjoyed the diving in Mauritius more. Although Reunion has better topside.

Hope this helps...

I live and dive in Reunion and have only ever seen a shark once while diving (and it wasn't a bull or tiger shark). I don't know if this will reassure or disappoint you ;-). Dive professionals I've spoken to have only seen sharks a handful of times in hundreds of dives. Madaclub mentions St Leu for diving, along with St Gilles they are the two main diving areas with the most clubs (both on the west coast).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom