Diving in Punta Gorda ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife (a non-diver) may be traveling to Punta Gorda to visit a clinic where her school sends medical students. I'm trying to decide if the diving is good enough in that area to tag a long.

Internet searches are not very illuminating. Punta Gorda is pretty-much the edge of the universe and the only dive shop I can find is 'Cotton Tree Lodge' which is not really very close to the ocean. Even there they talk about a 1-2 hour boat trip for diving.

Does anyone have any direct experiences they can share?

I've been to Punta Gorda several times. Cool place. Not many tourists.

You should contact Dennis Garbutt via the Garbutt's Fishing Lodge website. Great guy. He runs scuba diving and/or fishing trips out of their marina. I met him last June. After stopping by earlier in the day to ask about scuba diving, I stayed in one of his waterfront cabanas when it got too late to drive back to Placencia. The cabanas are nice enough, nothing special, but the view of the Bay of Honduras off the back is fantastic, especially if a thunderstorm rumbles though like it did for me.

The trips out are long, about an hour and a half each way. You can do day trips or stay in a cabin on a caye that the Garbutts own and dive from there.

I was on a property hunting trip and didn't bring my scuba gear with me from Placencia; otherwise, I would have given diving a shot. There were some divers pulling out from the dock as I was leaving the next morning.

Worth it? That sort of thing is always worth it to me. If I tagged along with my wife on a trip like that I would definitely spend at least a couple of days diving. And it's a straight shot up into the Toledo District jungle from there. Tons to see and do.

Last edited:
Hi John

The Barrier reef is around 35 miles from shore hence the 1-2 hour boat trip so it is not very easy or cost effective to go for a days diving. There are a few dive sites closer to the mainland but not on the reef. I would definitely suggest heading out if you can, its well worth it.

ReefCI operate from Punta Gorda and offer Monday - Friday all inclusive SCUBA trips with a focus on marine conservation. You can get involved in spearing the invasive lionfish (and then eating them) monitoring commercial fish species and the coral! They have a beautiful remote private island where you are based during the week in rustic but comfortable accommodation. There are no other divers in the area, the diving is fab and they are based right on the continental shelf. Check them out; Volunteer Diving Expeditions | Caribbean | Marine Conservation Dive Holidays

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom