Diving in Playa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inateone

New
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to Playa soon. We are both cetified divers but it's been at least a year since our last dive. My wife tends to get very anxious on the first dive especially when it' s
been a while since we have gone.
Does anyone have any good recommendations for a dive operation that only takes smaller groups no larger than 6 and might provide more personalized attention? We also plan to go to Coz for one day. Any recommendations for same setup there?

Thanks!

I've dove with the Dressel divers in Playa, they are connected with the Iberostar hotels and are slightly more expensive than some of the other operations, but they are safe, and can also plan an excursion to Cozumel with you. After a few dives, I would also recommend a day of diving the Cenotes or at least ask about them while you are in Playa.:)

It is so much cheaper and quicker. I dove with Dressler a couple of years ago and bargained an 18 dive with 2 days of Cenotes and two days of Coz so it was reasonable, but, they were a brand new operation so bargaining was OK. Now, I hear it is not.

Don't pay the $90 to go to the Iberostar on Coz. It was a mess when we did it and I was in Coz last year and ran into a group coming w/Dressler from Playa.. it was almost noon and they hadn't gotten to the resort yet. If you do it on your own just take the ferry and find a reliable local dive shop on this board, cheaper, quicker and less hassle.

The real gems are the Cenotes, don't stay in Playa without doing at least a two tanker. (I could spend a week just diving them).

A third option is Dive Aventura in Puerto Aventura, several clicks south from Playa.

The Ceñote dives and Cozamel are good options, but if you don't relish the hot boat ride back while covered with salt water (my yesterday) or get bored with lifeless caverns once the novelty wears off, I sugguest Aventura.

Unlike Playa, it has a harbor. Here you can load up from a dock and be in the water in 6 minutes. In Playa you have to swim to moored boats which can be work in the surf. I regret I am leaving tomorrow.

Do at least some dives in Coz. The reefs are extraordinary.

Good luck!

When I went to Playa I dove with the Barracuda Dive shop at the Allegro. I did a two tank trip to Cenotes and did two one tank dives that were drift dives on two different days. I thought they were pretty good. Our groups were small. One DM with 4 divers at the cenotes and we had six on the drift dives.

Thanks for the info, We definitely plan to do the cenotes!

When taking in the 5th Avenue nightlife in Playa, I highly recommend dinner at Sur, particularly any of the Argentine beef dishes.

Also recommended is Apassinado just down the street: good food, jazz and more atmosphere than would seem possible for an open air restaurant.

Also, walk down the street and stroll in the plaza of the Hotel Lunata. Such tranquility so near to the chaos of the street seems impossibel. They don't seem to dissuade those who are there to look but not pay the $280 night room fare.

Safe bubbles!

I've been diving with Abyss Dive Shop in Playa and highly recommend them. You can check out their website (http://www.abyssdiveshop.com/). They usually take no more than six divers out at a time. While you're there, make sure you take the ferry over to Cozumel to do some diving there too.

Back
Top Bottom