Diving in Panama??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone been diving in Panama, and what is it like?

that is a really tough question, since Panama affords the possibility of diving BOTH the Caribbean AND the Pacific Ocean. Did you have a certain destination in mind?

I could give you a full rundown on the Caribbean side, especially the Bocas del Toro archipelago.

Bocas offers some of the easiest diving in the Caribbean. Most of the dive sites are located in protected waters which means that there are never rough seas or strong currents to contend with. Usually it is flat calm. Visibility in the area is not as good as elsewhere in the Caribbean, as we usually average about 40 feet. While we don't have a lot of big critters, we do have exceptionally healthy coral reefs and a vast variety of tropical fish and invertebrate life.

If you are interested in the area, the web site bocas.com is very informative.

PM me if you have nay specific questions.

Very interested in the Caribbean side. Some questions.

Read what you have to say about Bocas. Where else, preferably on the mainland is good?

Good = responsible, well organised dive operation(s), area not decimated by over-fishing and therefore would expect healthy coral and fish.

What water temperature and general weather/sea conditions in December?
And in July?

Any liveaboards in the area?

Luann,

i was 5 Days in Santa Catalina around the first of march 2008 diving 3 Days the Isla Coiba Nationalpark.

I was surprised how beautiful the dives where and how much fish i saw, especialy Sea Turtles and Frogfishes.
I really enjoyed all three Days diving with COIBA DIVE CENTER, professional, relaxed and very friendly.
I will go back to dive again there, it was pretty cool!

Best regards

Chris Karrer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom