Diving in Panama in early March 2004

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wipeout26

Reaction score
Hi, I will be send to Panama for business 2 weeks from now. I will have 5 days free time and would like to do some diving.

Is diving in Panama in early March any good? I heard it's not the best time to dive. Where in Panama has good diving? I am hoping to see some macro life and also some giant mantas and whale shark. I heard there is some interesting wreck dives in the Panama Canal. Is the dive in the canal really that good as some of the web site is saying? Is it good to dive there in early March? Also any dive operator and lodging to recommend? Not too expensive please. :wink:

Hope you guys could help. I am only inform of the trip this week and I do not have time to go any research.

Diving in Panama is mediocre at best. I should clarify the statement by saying we only dove in the Bocas Del Toro area and in Contadora,so my opinion is based on these 2 places. In Bocas,the rains play a huge part in the visibilty as there are lots of rivers that empty into the ocean nearby. It also rains ALOT. It is also heavily fished by the locals. Contadora has a major tidal current. It is really only feasable when done at slack tide. As far as the canal goes....we thought it sounded like an interesting dive also. Once we saw the clarity of the water on tour of the canal,our minds were changed quickly. Visibility wouls have been near "0". Others may have differing opinions or been ther at differant times of the year,but I was not overly impressed with the diving. Infact our dive operator in Bocas said..."people dive here for something to do...they dont come here just to dive". the rest of the country is wonderful and people are great. By the way..we were ther in mid February.

It has been a long time (10+ years), but I really enjoyed diving in the San Blas de Cuna islands (Off the east coast of Panama). We were on a private boat and dove there for over a week - tremendous. Only a few of the 300+ islands are inhabited.

It might be tough finding an operator to take you there, but if you can get it, I'd give it shot...

Back
Top Bottom