Diving In Oregon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kromar

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,
I will be visiting Portland for over 4 weeks starting June. During my stay I will have free weekends, but I also plan one whole week for traveling and diving at the end of my stay. I was wondering if Oregon has any worth diving spots? From what I have found so far, there are some spots around New Port area, Crater Lake which seems to be very nice, some other lakes like Squaw Lake. I would like to ask you guys for some help. What places would you suggest for good diving? Maybe it's better to move to another state for better dive locations?

I come from Poland and I have experience in wreck diving, low visibility conditions and cold water, but it does not mean I don't like better visibility and reach underwater life :)

Any help much appreciated

Thanks
MK

Diving in Oregon is great! I've done ocean and river spots on the south coast, and could recommend Winchester Bay, and Port Orford as good spots. There's also some good diving up by Portland, with spots on Hood Canal being at the top of the list. If you want to drive up to the Seattle area, you should check out Edmonds dive park. There is also Clear Lake in Orgeon, which has 200+ visibility, but is cold 0-2deg C all year. Crater Lake allows diving, but it's a 500 meter vertical descent down a hiking path to get to the lake, and then 500 meters to get back up after you dive.

Hi,
I will be visiting Portland for over 4 weeks starting June. During my stay I will have free weekends, but I also plan one whole week for traveling and diving at the end of my stay. I was wondering if Oregon has any worth diving spots? From what I have found so far, there are some spots around New Port area, Crater Lake which seems to be very nice, some other lakes like Squaw Lake. I would like to ask you guys for some help. What places would you suggest for good diving? Maybe it's better to move to another state for better dive locations?

I come from Poland and I have experience in wreck diving, low visibility conditions and cold water, but it does not mean I don't like better visibility and reach underwater life :)

Thanks
MK
I depends on what you're used to.

I personally find fresh water diving to be extremely boring. I make the drive to Hood Canal (salt water and about 3 hours) which can have visibility ranging from "OK" to downright poor. However the critters make up for it.

As for living in Portland, its just awful, you don't want to move here ::crafty::crafty:)

Diving in Oregon is great! I've done ocean and river spots on the south coast, and could recommend Winchester Bay, and Port Orford as good spots. There's also some good diving up by Portland, with spots on Hood Canal being at the top of the list. If you want to drive up to the Seattle area, you should check out Edmonds dive park. There is also Clear Lake in Orgeon, which has 200+ visibility, but is cold 0-2deg C all year. Crater Lake allows diving, but it's a 500 meter vertical descent down a hiking path to get to the lake, and then 500 meters to get back up after you dive.

Thanks for the info, I will definately check Hood Canal, looks interesting :) Maybe Clear Lake also.

I depends on what you're used to.

I personally find fresh water diving to be extremely boring. I make the drive to Hood Canal (salt water and about 3 hours) which can have visibility ranging from "OK" to downright poor. However the critters make up for it.

As for living in Portland, its just awful, you don't want to move here ::crafty::crafty:)

Yes, that's what I heard! All this boring restaurants, ugly mountains nearby and patetic distance from the ocean :wink:

Best regards,
MK

Hi,

Thanks
MK

the only reason i dive in oregon is for food, either crab, fish, or shellfish. clearlake is one of those lakes once youve dove it youve dove it, there are 2 dives there one with a sunken row boat and little conical features at the bottom where fresh water flows into the lake from lava tubes, the other a deep dive to a petrified forest. make sure you dive the right clear lake, theres 2 in oregon the one you dive is between eugene and sisters and its an altitude dive!
most people in the portland area drive 2 hours up to hood canal to dive as visibility is better than oregons coasts and more to look at.
if you need a buddy i may be able to meet with you if i can find babysitter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom