Diving in or around Phuket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sahel578

Reaction score
I have a bunch of questions. Please let me point out that I am a great big newbie.. having only dived in Cozumel. However, I'm young, I'm fit and up to a challenge! :D

Okay.. now to the questions.. Thinking of planning honeymoon trip to Phuket after a few day lay over in Bangkok.. any recommendations as to dive plans? We're planning on staying in Phuket at least five days. Now I'm a little intimidated by live aboards, but I'm open minded. Also what about the Similan Islands? How far away from Phuket are they? Are there hotels there? And finally, what can you tell me about the Mergui Archipelago? Like, where is it in compared to Phuket?

Please excuse my ignorance..I'm young and from Texas.. so Thailand is quite exotic for me.

Thanks so much.. I'm really trying to plan the trip of a lifetime, so any advice is greatly appreciated!

-Sahel

Do not worry about ppl talking about liveaboards all the time. Similan and Surin Island diving is great, but not for people who hate confined spaces. Phuket diving is fun and interesting. My favorite spots are Koh Doc Mai (Flower Island) and Raja Islands. Pick a dive shop with faster boat, because it takes a while to reach Raja islands. Some shops will offer 3 dives a day on Tuesday or Thursday instead of usual 2. E-mail me for more details, if you wish.

When are you going to be in Thailand. If it is between Nov-late April then Phuket/Similan etc are ideal. Is your spouse a diver as well? As far as liveaboard is concerned, there are all kinds of boats at various price, some of them would be suitable for honeymooner as well, I would think. Also it depends on how many days do you want to dive? If for a day or two, you can stay in Phuket and do quick day trips out to island nearby or even to the Similan or you can go further north to Koh Lak which also have many nice new resorts suitable for honeymoon couples and do an easier day trip out to the Similans. Have fun!

Lots of questions in 1 thread.

In general the daytrip diving from Phuket is good. There are lots of divesites at Racha Yai and Racha Noi, and there are the sites at Koh Phi Phi plus Shark Point, Anemone Reef, King Cruiser and Koh Doc Mai.
There are boats going out to any of these destinations every day, so if you want to make a daytrip to these destinations, simply decide when you would like to go. Of course there is a difference in the boats, in general: you get what you pay for. Some of the boats will even offer 3 or 4 (including a nightdive) dives on one day.
BTW, all boats are more or less the same speed, a faster boat will maybe take 5-10 minutes less to reach the destinations. Unless of course you want to go by speedboat, but I really find that way of diving very uncomfortable.

You can also do daytrips to the Similans from both Phuket and Khao Lak. If you are leaving from Phuket, consider taking a boat that leaves from Phuket to avoid the minibus transfers. You pay a bit more, but it is much more relaxing and I think worth the extra money.

Liveaboards: plenty of choice, on your honeymoon though, I would only do a liveaboard to the Similans if my partner dives at well, otherwise it won't be any fun. If your partner does not dive, you could consider doing a short liveaboard (2 days/1 night or 3 days/2 night). These are more relaxing than the daytrips, and good value for money. Since the trip won't be that long is should be ok for a non-diving partner as well.

Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom