Diving in Okinawa late Oct / early Nov?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johm77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Zen Divers,

I'll be in Okinawa for three weeks starting this Saturday for work. I should have some free time on the afternoons and weekends to get some dives in. I'll be staying at the Renaissance, and I saw on their Japanese language page that they have diving tours.

A few questions:

1) What is the water temperature during late Oct / Early Nov? Could I get by with a 3/2 full? I just got back from diving in Hawaii with water in the high 70's and was comfortable.

2) My Hotel charges 12500Y for a 2 tank boat dive + 2000Y for reg/BC rental. Is that about the going rate on this island for a dive? Seems slightly higher than Hawaii.

3) Can anyone recommend some good websites with more information about Okinawa's dive sites?

Thanks in advance. I can't wait to dive Okinawan waters.

-john

Have a chat with Doug from Reef Encounters

Okinawa Diving - Reef Encounters - Go Diving in Okinawa with Reef Encounters! English and Japanese speaking full service dive shop.

I would recommend their operation, as they are flexible, knowledgeable and fun too.

He has described a few dive sites here....

Okinawa Diving - Reef Encounters - Great Diving Locations all over Okinawa and the surrounding Ryukyu Islands.

I don't know the water temperature in Okinawa, but Muchroom King just returned from near there and it was 27/28. So I think you would be fine in any wetsuit.

I don't know the water temperature in Okinawa, but Mushroom King just returned from near there and it was 27/28. So I think you would be fine in any wetsuit.

yep, I was in amami just north of the okinawa mainland. I can't see the water being too much different. I was toasty warm in a 5/3mm wetsuit.
I posted a few pictures - you can see what it will be similar too

Water temp today was 28.0C I am still diving a 2mm suit and its fine but the temp is starting to fall. You will be staying a few minutes north of us. We have boat running to the Keramas daily and also boats going to local spots the Rennaissance boat usually runs to Maeda Point just a short trip away from the hotel, the Keramas is the best diving here and is about 50 minutes by boat.

Thanks for all the replies. I've contacted reef encounters. I can't wait to hit the water!

May I ask does Ishigaki Island is the most popular dive site in okinawa?

Ishigaki and Okinawa are two seperate islands in the Okinawa prefecture. You can take a long ferry ride, or a short flight between the two. Ishigaki is famous for Manta Scramble- mantas usually year round more in the fall and spring. On Okinawa we have the Kerama islands, Chibishi and the sites around the main island. In the Keramas and Okinawa we have turtles all over, nudibranchs of various shapes colors and plenty of reef fish. For large critters we have white tip sharks, sting rays and mantas (although not as predictable as Ishigaki). Such sites as Sand Highway in Kuef- pygmy seahorses and large rays, turtles Manza Dream hole off the main island, Twin Rock for tuna and awesome coral, Ariga Minami for giant frogfish, Unzen- ribbon eels and huge jacks and other sites to numerous to mention
Also further down the chain we have Yonaguni with Iseki Point and Hammerway being great dives. Twin Arch would be another don't miss dive in Yonaguni. Yonaguni has schooling hammerheads in Jan-March and large tuna and jacks all the time. Yonaguni is a short flight from Ishigaki or Okinawa.

See our website for more info. Or if you have any questions just ask. If you email our shop Japanese is ok as we have plenty of Japanese staff also.

Don't forget you've also got places like Hedo Dome and diving the wreck of the USS Emmons a short boat ride from the Okinawan mainland too (the latter being an amazing wreck and piece of history to dive on)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom