Diving in Ohio/Lake Erie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bearcat11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be in Ohio for a few weeks in July to visit family and would like to knock out a few dives while I'm there.

The plan is to hit up one of the quarries in the area to do a refresher course with my buddy and get some bottom time in, then possibly do a shipwreck dive day in Lake Erie.

Anyone on here have any suggests for best quarries or charter boats in that area?

"Ohio" is a pretty broad description.... As to the Lake: Toledo? Cleveland? Sandusky? Port Clinton? Ashtabula? Vermilion? Loraine?

"One of the Quarries" - again, which one(s) geographically? There are a few....

"Ohio" is a pretty broad description.... As to the Lake: Toledo? Cleveland? Sandusky? Port Clinton? Ashtabula? Vermilion? Loraine?

"One of the Quarries" - again, which one(s) geographically? There are a few....

We will be near Sandusky but would probably drive 2-2.5 hours one way if the diving was right. I’ve looked into a couple of quarries (Gilboa and white star).

As far as Lake Erie, we again are willing to drive a bit if there’s a good option.

Osprey Charters out of NY run charters on Erie. They are on the NY/PA line. They are a great charter but most of their stuff is 100+ feet and cold(drysuit). Another option you could do is drive North into Michigan and try to find something on Huron.

Gilboa is a decent quarry fairly close by. I think white star might be even closer. Cant help you on the Erie charters.

gilboa will have the best viz and can get the deepest if getting in the mode for wrecks well below thermocline. whitestar is next best and is about 50' deep give or take across the whole thing (also has a beach so viz can get ruined by swimmers). circleville twin quarries, lancaster rv park and natural springs resort are other quarry options, but nowhere near as nice as gilboa. If you do go to gilboa, remember to drive slow on the gravel and bring cash. the owner is a nice guy if you start out on the right foot lol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom