Diving in Nuevo Vallarta

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave.E

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I am travelling to Mexico next week for a family vacation and want to get a couple days of diving in. I will be in Nuevo Vallarta.

Any recommendations on dive shops? They will need to allow singles on as nobody else in my family dives.

Dave

We just got back from a week in PV and did several dives with Cesar at Banderas Scuba Republic - I'd have no problems recommending him - gear was all relatively new, excellent condition. It's a small operation (in the "Romanica" zone) - basically one dive master, one assistant and the boat operator (small panga). IIRC max 8 divers. Great personal service - my wife is a relatively new diver and they made sure to pay extra attention to her at every step. It is a small operation though, so if you were looking for the big shop with lots for sale, larger boat etc, you won't find it there.
All in all a good experience - diving was even better than I expected - for 3 of 4 vis. was excellent (one sucked), relatively lots of things to see.

Thank you for the input!

I ended up going out with Vallarta Adventures as their docks were within walking distance of the hotel. I dove with them two days (4 dives) and had a great experience. Staff were good and a fantastic breakfast & lunch was provided. The dive master was a solid diver with tons of experience, I'll post his name later so he gets some credit.

Dave

Hoping someone checks out this post and has some current info. Traveling to Nuevo Vallarta first week of March. Looking for dive shop that is strictly for diving and is in Nuevo...not Puerto Vallarta. I know Vallarta Adventures ties their dives into the tours they run which means lots of people who are not all divers and a longer day.

Also is anyone familiar with Scuba Steve? I think he is located at Paradise Village.

Appreciate any information you can provide.

Jon

I dove with Vallarta Adventures from Nuevo Vallarta last week. Dove in El Morro with a total of 4 divers (including me) and the divemaster. Was delayed with the departure since we opted to wait for the 4th diver who was late. Hugo was our divemaster and he was great. Appreciated that he would signal me whenever he sees interesting subjects for me to take a picture of. Dove from a panga with 2 150hp outboards. Tons of people in the morning waiting for their various trips to depart and the waiting area and coffee shop was full.

They do have a lot of non divers on the other trips. I suggest if you plan to dive in Los Arcos and la Marietas look for other operators since the boat is sure to be crowded.

I brought my own regulator and used their bcd (Scubapro), mask, fins and a 5mm wetsuit. Lunch were sandwiches (not good) which we ate on the way back after the second dive and either water or cola.

Thanks for the update. Decided to take all my gear (less fins), which for this trip will include 3mm wetsuit. Already booked Las Caletas, which I know has everyone else (my wife and friends included) on it for the tour. It is one dive only, but did it so our group could be together, although I am only one diving. Doing a couple of non-diving tours also with VA.

Really trying to find out about Scuba Steve of Paradise Village. The resort had him contact me and he has given me information, but I can't find anything else about him anywhere except some pictures posted on Facebook.

Will check into the other dives with VA. Feel free to share any other info about Nuevo. It is our first time there.

Thanks again, Jon

Enjoy your vacation. Which hotel are you staying at? If you want to have fresh coconuts there is a place in between Riu Palace and Riu Vallarta. Its along the beach for just a few pesos. Although Nuevo Vallarta is far from downtown PV. I find it to be alot better. The beach is ok and sand is not white but clean.

This is very important at the airport. Right after customs and before exiting the terminal there is an area with counter on both sides manned by men and women. They are the timeshare people. Just avoid them like the plague and go straight out. This are were you either meet for your hotel transfers or get a cab. If you booked through Apple Vacations, They are the one who wear a bright flowery polo shirt.

Be sure to arrive at VA at least 30 minutes before your tour is scheduled to depart as you will need to check in and get your boarding pass and a bracelet ( they issued me one for diving). After this you head to the dive area where you are assigned equipment and meet the divemaster then they will ask you to proceed to the cafe area right before the marina entrance. They will call your group once boarding is ready. Cabs are available right outside to take you back to the hotel.

VA.jpg

Thanks, Sounds like the airports in Cancun and Cozumel.staying at Paradise Village...nice because VA has ferry that picks up there. Thanks for the extra info.

Just back from Nuevo Vallarta. Only did one dive which was through Vallarta Adventures. They have a free water ferry to their center from the Paradise Village dock, which is in he Nuevo Vallarta Marina. The dive was on the Las Caletas tour which was a day trip to a "secluded" beach. I was the only diver on the trip while everyone else enjoyed the activity/relaxation of the beach. When everyone else got off the catamaran to go to the beach I stayed back on the dock to prepare for the dive.

I took all of my own gear except for wetsuit and fins which they provided. The wetsuit was a 5mm, which was good for me as the water was 70 degrees at our maximum depth of 105 feet (although I never felt cold.) The fins were full foot fins. Entry was from a metal stairwell from the dock. Visibility was at best 20 ft. and often times less. The DM wanted me to stay on the bottom once we were down. Saw three types of pufferfish, including smaller balloon fish, which the DM got to inflate. Also saw eels, trumpetfish, stingrays, schools of fish, and a boat wreck. Dive lasted 54 minutes. Safety was definitely important to my DM. After the dive I left my gear in a bag on the dock (less dive computer) and joined my wife and friends on the beach. Could see my yellow bag anytime I looked up from the beach - never had to worry about someone taking it. Picked it back up when catamaran returned to pick us up.

Didn't do any other dives simply because we had prebooked activities on days VA went out on their dive only trips.

An inquiry I had on this forum was if anyone had done any diving with Scuba Steve. He has a palapa on the beach at Paradise Village Resort and goes to certain dive sites on certain days. Again, my schedule didn't fit his, but he really is there.

Also did the Outdoor Adventure and Rhythms of the Night Tour (wife did Sea Safari.) If you want any info on those, let me know.

I know, old thread... Any new information on diving in Nuevo Vallarta.
New ops?
New reviews?
We're staying at the Grand Luxxe at Vidanta Nuevo Vallarta.
It looks like these guys www.vallarta-adventures.com are just across the street but it looks like "Diving" is not their primary focus.
Headed down in a few weeks.
Any info would be appreciated. The web info is a little thin in this area.

Back
Top Bottom