Diving in Newport, OR, second week of May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brtlmj

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be visiting Newport, OR between the 8th and 11th of May. And it just so happens that I have just got a brand new 8/7 wetsuit that I am itching to try out :)

Now, other than "people dive there", I know absolutely nothing about the area. Are there any diving spots suitable for a beginner? I am not exactly an advanced diver, no matter what my PADI card says.
Also, how is the water temperature and surf conditions at this time of the year?

And finally, would anyone go diving with me? :)

Thanks!
Bart

Blake, the owner of Salem Scuba, is a very friendly and talkative guy. His shop has been here for years, and he knows lots of people. He likely knows someone with first-hand experience and advice. Call him...

scuba salem oregon snorkeling

Also, there is a Facebook group of divers, some of whom may know Newport. Northwest Divers

Last edited:
I use to live in the condos across from the 3rd finger for years. Did a lot of jetty diving and offshore splashes out of the Yaquina. It is not the easiest site for beginners. You could go to the pier in front of the harbor for an easy dive but its shallow and you wont see much. The 3rd finger (just west of the bridge) is a good dive and at the tip it drops into the 30ish feet and tends to hold a bit more fish and sea life. The fingers further west are shorter but tend to have more life and you can also run along the jetty without being as shallow as on the 3rd. Things to be very aware of are tide and vis. It can get pretty murky in there and if your in the middle of a tide you might be going for a ride. Arrive early and watch the water. Be prepared to get in before a slack. The other thing to consider is the climb over the rocks. You will have traverse those at any entry/exit there. The Oregon coast has some amazing diving. Both in the jettys but especially offshore. However its best done from a live boat and with a fair amount of confidence in your diving and navigation skills. Idk if Scott at South Beach divers is still running a shop down there but he use to run some guided dives and knows the area well. Good luck and dive safe.

Back
Top Bottom