Diving in Nassau and Freeport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NeurosurgeryNP

Registered
Reaction score
We will be going on a short cruise and need info on private tours in Nassau and Freeport.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

When in Freeport, I always us UNEXSO. Yes, they are a large op, but they run it like a small op. The folks are freindly and professional. They have large boats that are never crowded. Enjoy!

:D

I concur with G'Diddy as to using Unexso in Freeport. Not a whole lot of choices as it is and Unexso runs a good operation.

In Freeport I know Unexso has a great reputation but, they make you follow a guide and you can't dive your own profile. Back on the boat in 40 min.

Don't know how much experience you have but, just a heads up. I wish I had known.

I don't know the names of the other charters off hand in Freeport but, I'd do a search here on Scubaboard for more information.

In Freeport/Port Lucaya we dive with Grand Bahama Scuba

Nice Boat!! Great Crew!! You can follow the group or do your own dive. Fred and Melinda do an excellent job of making sure that you have safe and enjoyable dives!!

They've been rated #1 in the Bahamas 2 years in a row.

My wife and I like it there so much that we return there each year.

Call or e-mail them. You can reserve your spots and make arrangements.

I have just returned last night from diving with Sunn Odyssey, they were great. Nick and Karen Rolle are the owners, Nickson (sp?) - everyone was fabulous. Great dives, personal service. Max of 10 per boat. We found divers who have been diving with Sunn Odyssey for years - one couple was in the 12th year of diving regularly with them. I have used UNEXSCO and felt like I was just a number. Viva Fortuna Divers at the Viva Wyndham Fortuna was more personal, but still the cattleboat feel. Sunn Odyssey made me feel like family!

Last edited:
Went diving with Sunn Odyssey in April 09....We were at Freeport (Cruise ship) for 1 day..We were picked up at 11:30 and made the short ride to the dive shop. Met Karen and Nick and crew (all were nice and professional). We went on 2 dives and were every bit as good as the ones we did in Nassau the day before. Mainly a good expierence except some sommunication issues...
1- our confirmation said pick up was 11:30am....there were there looking for us at 11am..not a big deal, they still picked us up.
2- after booking the dives, I was sent another email inquiring about weather we decided to dive with them or not...again not a big deal but did require follow up emails to clear up.
3- after returning home I remembered that a free promo gift we were entitled, we did not receive, so after 2 email attempts I gave up trying...no response....
4- on the second dive the dive master changed our tanks over and put on a used tank (for my son) while it is partly my fault for not double checking my son (new diver) tank..we got about 5 minutes into the dive and he was about out of air and we had to go back to boat and switch tanks.

While these things are not big deals...it was the attention to detail that could have been better.

Gotta 2nd Grand Bahama Scuba; I think you will have a better experience w/ them vs UNESCO - more personalized service, less of a "production", ect.

Your issue could be timing if you are on a cruse ship, so e mail them and see if they can accomodate you - I dove w/ them on a Sat, last summer, but in the past they were off that day, as they cater to timeshare folks at Ocean Reff where they are located.

Worth diving with. I like them more than UNESCO and Xanadu.

I second the recommendation for Grand Bahama Scuba
Though Fred only has one boat is he is MUCH more flexible than the other operators and offers a great service, not bothering you if you are an experience diver.
I was forced on choosing him as he was the only one that would take me on Theo without doing another shallow dive first (I was asked by Sunn Odyssey to do that which meant I could not do it as I only had one day left) or following a strict daily schedule (as UNEXSO)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom