Diving in Missouri

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where exactly are you in Missouri? The west side of the state, not so much....closest is probably Table Rock Lake or Oronogo down by Joplin. The east side of the state has a few more places.

Most diving is in southern MO along Arkansas boarder.

Checkout our webpage at www.midwestmuckdiving.com for more places in the midwest.

Snagel

you should check out mermet springs in southern illinois its a really really tight place to dive and the facilites are great for quarry diving about 3hrs from st. louis

lots of sunk items( planes, busses, train cars ) you see really big spoonbill's there too

max depth is about 120 if ya put your computer down a hole :Ds
also lines between sites so its really easy to plan dives and navigate also platforms for descent
visibility really depends on the amount of divers obviously but ive had between 10-40ft

just a fun friendly easy dive site

C_figaro,

There are several places to dive around Missouri. Here are a few places that are popular not in any particular order:

1) Dive Stop (Quarry)
2) Quail Run (Quarry)
3) Table Rock Lake
4) Norfork Lake
5) Bull Shoals Lake
6) Stockton Lake
7) Mermet Springs (Premier Quarry in S. Illinois)
8) Bredina Springs (Quarry located 1.5 hrs north of St. Louis opening in spring 2011)
9) Haigh Quarry in Kankakee, IL (northern Illinois)
10) Penny Royal (Quarry in Kentucky)
11) Bonne Terre Mine (Expensive, yet worth seeing)

If you're in the St. Louis area, you are only 5 hours away from Lake Michigan. Which offers spectacular wreck diving! I would highly recommend making a trip up to Lake Michigan, these are authentic wrecks that are well preserved. The local shops in STL I don't think offer too many trips up there. However, there are plenty of us that head up that way each summer. There are plenty of shops/captains around the lake that offer affordable trips.

There are also some cave diving opportunities if you're certified to cavern/cave dive.

Blu Diver

Thanks for the list above Blu Diver; will use it for future reference next time I fly out that way.

(I'm here in Boonville Missouri --about halfway on I-70 between St. Louis & Kansas City-- visiting my older brother and his family. . .)

I live in Saint Louis. I'm not a cave diver, though I'm sort of working myself into that slowly.

Anyone know about any groups that get together for trips to table rock lake?

I live in nebraska, run are boat down to TR 2 times a year for long weekends. Am planing a trip to focus on the submerged bridge at kimberling city in April-May.

Here is a link to an active dive group, hosted by Y-Kiki Divers. Friendly, easy going folks that enjoy diving and usually there's a nice showing depending on the weekend and location.

Y-kiki Divers • Local Diving • St. Louis

You might want to check out another site similar yet considerably smaller than Scuba Board. It's a regional board. Again, with many friendly, knowledgeable and competent divers.

MidwestDive - Powered by vBulletin

Bonne Terre Mine is worth trying, particularly since you are in the neighborhood. Mostly wall diving and swim thru's. Just got back from a 5-dive 2-day trip and it was really interesting. Reminds me of a flooded version of Tolkien's Mines of Moria!

Shawn

Back
Top Bottom