Diving in Marseilles? Diving history there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zekethesheik

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Going to Marseilles in early November. Is there any diving to do in the area? Any Cousteau history to see?
We are experienced cold water divers

Diving in Marseille is really good, you've got hundreds of places, but with the local wind 'le Mistral' it can be rough and I'm not so sure if November is the best time of year.

As far as diving history is concerned, you've got some vintage diving stuff or diving related in the museum (about Marseille and the sea) in 'Palais de la Bourse'.

The diving is excellent round that part of France with good wrecks in particular. The Cousteau wreck "Dalton" is near on the Island "Planier" but as JMBL rightly points out the weather can be iffy for that trip. Lots of dive centres in the Old Port.

You will need to have an up to date (less than a year old) medical certificate. You can get them done easily in France but why waste your holiday? Also your PADI Divemaster is only a CMAS 2 star rating so you will probably need a guide for the deeper stuff. (CMAS 3 star lets you do as you please).

If you are planning to contact the dive centres before you go be aware that a lot of French centres don't really "do" email. If you get no reply it doesn't mean they are not diving or there are no spaces, just that they probably have not read the mail in the last 3 or 4 months. (Things are getting better these days).

Diving sites in Marseille - Dune World

DIVERNET- Riviera gems - South of France wrecks

You will need to have an up to date (less than a year old) medical certificate. You can get them done easily in France but why waste your holiday? Also your PADI Divemaster is only a CMAS 2 star rating so you will probably need a guide for the deeper stuff. (CMAS 3 star lets you do as you please).

If you are planning to contact the dive centres before you go be aware that a lot of French centres don't really "do" email. If you get no reply it doesn't mean they are not diving or there are no spaces, just that they probably have not read the mail in the last 3 or 4 months. (Things are getting better these days).

Ooops ! I had forgotten that part, too true alas.

Btw, when the weather is rough, you should try diving from Cassis, you've got lots of little coves, protected from the wind, and you can also dive from there on famous spot like the Grand Congloué (remmember the beginning of the Silent World ? It was shoot there). And if the Gods are still against you, you can drown your sorrow in the local (mainly white) wine. I can give you some good adresses if you want/need to. :wink:

Marseilles is also the home of Comex (Compagnie Maritime d'Expertises ), the leading innovator in commercial diving and undersea research in France. I toured their facilities years ago and it might be interesting, especially if you get skunked by weather. They might still accommodate requests for tours. Comex - Français

Comex's founder, Henri Delauze, collaborated with Cousteau on a number of projects. Here's a link to the "50 Years" issue of Comex Magazine.

http://www.comex.fr/fileadmin/telechargement/COMEX_N11_UK_LD.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info!
I wish I would have checked this earlier, but I am a pumpkin farmer and this morning is the first time in weeks I've had to get on the forum!
Iwill bring my mask and camera+housing and hope to find something.
JMBL.. Are you in Marseille?
Chrisch, thanks for the medical heads up
Akimbo, I have followed Comex for years... I shall look them up!
Thanks,everyone!

In early November you can have, depending of your luck, from 19° to 14°C in the water. Last weekend, the water was at 18°.
Marseille is a very nice place to dive with lots of wrecks and walls, shallow or deep.
Grand Congloué and others dives sites near Riou islands are slightly closer from Cassis, I guess, but not that much, and can absolutely be dived from Marseille (and that's from where I've always dived them).

JMBL.. Are you in Marseille?

Nope, I live closer to the Atlantic now. I used to go there regularly some years ago though. Have fun diving there.

All good info, thanks. I will be in Monaco and Cassis in mid-April. Staying in Cassis for 2 nights then on up into Provence. Would like to dive. Are there specific shops that would be good? Do not want to go into Marseilles.

water temp? opportunity to get clear conditions for photos?

thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom