Diving in Ireland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lisacats

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

Does anyone scuba dive in Ireland in February, or is it just too cold? I'm going for there for a wedding, but want to make it worth my while by getting in some bottom time. I'm used to sort of cold water, Monterey, CA, but don't know if 7 ml is enough to keep me warm in such a higher latitude? I've found that there are a lot of great spots to dive but don't know if people go out year 'round.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa

Guess I'll have to take some drysuit classes.

:)
Lisa:cold:

I have done all my diving around Ireland, I dived last february and the water was 5 celcius so probably a bit cold for most people.

regards,
steve.

It's been a while, but last time I dived in Ireland there were some very curious wrasse, and a lot of baby fish. Usually in Kilkee I used to see a lot of large starfish, sea cucumbers, sea urchins and very large spider crabs. I've seen some fairly big lobsters too, and scallops. Basically nothing too exciting but you do see stuff. Lots of feather stars. There are conger eels too.

Hi Lisa - I'm new to the board and have only just found your post.

I see you're headed to these shores any time now, so for what it's worth - it's cold, but no too cold, to dive in Ireland in a 7mm all year round. I used to do it until I graduated to a dry suit, but the repeat dives can leave you seriously chilled! However, visibility and sea conditions tend to deteriorate during the winter months.

Visibility is the big problem on the east coast and if this is where you're heading, basically I wouldn't even bother trying to dive in February. However, Ireland is so small that you can cross it by road in a day, so you might like to consider travelling to get some diving. If you're in the south or west of the country then there's a chance you will get decent viz but diving will be dependent on the weather. Can't tell you a whole lot about the north because I've only dived there one weekend, but the dives were absolutely amazing!

I'm with a club near Dublin and while we have done dives in December, January, and February in the past, these would be the exception rather than the rule. Even at that, viz would have been down at two metres - or less. If we get anything over seven metres even in the summer, we would consider that excellent viz off the east coast - so as you can see, challenging and not particularly attractive. You may get better viz this time of year in some parts of the east, but I don't know where they are...you could contact one of the local dive operators and they will give you a definitive answer.

Irish west coast is fabulous - I'm a big fan. I've done dives out there that have been better than anything I've done in the Red Sea! It's deep - most of what you will do is at 30m or more. Don't expect tropical colours, because there are none apart from the odd cuckoo wrasse. But there are big fish, lots of them, and beautiful kelp-free reefs and ledges to explore. You'll need a good torch for poking into all the holes you'll find in the reefs and picking out the lobster, crayfish, and crabs.

Same thing largely goes for the south coast of Ireland, where there are reefs and wrecks aplenty. Viz is usually good, but it's all weather dependent.

In all cases, I would recommend you go with an experienced local dive operator because the seas are unforgiving around here when the weather turns. January/February is definitely off-season in the Irish diving world but most of the dive centres tend to take January off and get back into business by February, so you should have some luck finding someone.

If you want me to, I can recommend dive operators in the area you want to do your diving. I don't have any ties with any of them but as a club we travel the country and we would have considerable experience with these people...naturally, we don't go back to those who don't come up to scratch.

:eek:ut:

Thanks for such an informative answer. I am leaving next week and not yet made any plans. I was hoping to dive in the southwest, Rink of Kerry area, if you know of any operators there. I went ahead and got the drysuit and have just about figured out buoyancy for it. I can't believe I waited so long to get one. It's revolutionized my Monetery diving already.
Again,
Thanks,
Lisa

Kerry is a brilliant spot for diving. My recommendation would be Valentia, an island connected to the mainland by bridge or ferry (saves you about a 40 minute car trip). There are two dive centres there which both offer the complete service and organise boat trips to sites around the coast and to the Skelligs Rocks - the rocks are two fantastic jagged islands, about an hour's boat trip out of Knightstown Harbour on Valentia. They are covered in colonies of gannets and are an extremely beautiful, if noisy (and slightly smelly!) place as a result. The fish life and reefs are spectacular underneath the cliffs. Some fantastic swim-throughs as well! I dived there last summer with the club and we're heading back again this summer, even though it's a six-hour drive away from the east coast.

The following is lifted from my club's website (thanks Ttmac - also a Scubaboard member!)

Geography
Valentia Island, situated off the coast of the Ring of Kerry, is the most westerly point of Western Europe. Next stop west of Valentia is the U.S.A. 1900 miles of ocean away. Easily accessible with a Car/Passenger Ferry operating from 1st April to 30th September from Renard Point to Knightstown, and by road via the Portmagee Bridge, many tourists flock to this island annually because of Valentia's historical significance and natural beauty.

There are various types of accomodation available on the island ranging from B&B's, Guesthouses, Self-Catering, and Hostels.

The main village on the island is Knightstown, called after the "Knight of Kerry" who formerly owned the island. It is the main hub of activity on the island. There are a number of bars and restaurants on the island with a reputation for some excellent food. The other village on the island is Chapelstown - a lot quieter then Knightstown

History
The first transatlantic link was laid here in 1857, putting Cahirciveen in direct contact with New York, even though no connection had been established with Dublin. The history of the Valentia - US cable can be viewed at the Valentia Heritage Centre situated near Knightstown, the focal point of the island. This event is only part of the history surrounding this mystical island.

Valentia will be of interest to the local (Wicklow) historian as Captain Robert Halpin, who lived in Wicklow at Tinakilly House and was born in the Bridge Tavern, was master of the Great Eastern, the ship which laid the first transatlantic cable. The slate quarry opened in 1816 provided one of the main sources of income for the island. This quarry was used to supply flagstones and roof-slates for some of the most famous buildings in the world, including the "House of Commons" at Westminister and the London and San Salvadore train stations.

Also of interest to the history buff on Valentia Island, geologists discovered the earliest fossilised footprints of a prehistoric creature ever found in Europe, and possibly the world. The 385 million years old Tetrapod footsteps fossils are a major archaeological discovery. They have attracted interest from archaeologists world-wide and was featured in "National Geographic" magazine in May 1999, in an article entitled "The rise of life on earth" by Keri Westenberg

Archaelogists will find Valentia a fantastic window to the past as there are signs of habitation from 6,000 years B.C. There are plenty of early Celtic Church remains around the island as well as numerous standing stones, wedge tombs, remains of castles and Ring forts.

The "Skellig Experience", situated just when one crosses over the island via road, is a must to visit. It contains exhibitions of the life and times of the monks who lived on the island and is an ideal place to go if visiting the Skellig Islands for background information.

The Glanleam Estate is another major tourist attraction. The former residence of "The Knight of Kerry" (the Fitzgerald family), it is now a converted guest-house open to the public offering the most westerly Sub-Tropical gardens in Europe - the profusion of colour is remarkable. These gardens are open to the public, and offer a Tea-room for refreshments.

The Heritage Museum in Knightstown portrays life and conditions on the Island in pictorial and written form from the last century. It also covers the Western Union involvement with Valentia, and the meteorological station, and coastal marine Radio Station, and Valentia Life-Boat.

Activities
Valentia Island is a haven for the more active visitor, with plenty of outdoor activities on hand. These include archaeology, bird watching, canoeing, cycling, deep-sea angling, gardening, hill walking, sailing, scuba diving, shore fishing, and water-sports.

Pitch and putt and golf facilities are to be found on the island, however the main activities that the island has to offer are perhaps angling and scuba diving. The Island shores are bathed by the Gulf Stream contributing to its abundant sea life.

There are three main diving centres available on the island - Des Lavelles, the Dive Centre and the Valentia Island Sea Sports Centre. Dive sites accessible from Valentia include The Skelligs, Bray head, Puffin Island, Oilean an Iasc, Dolus Head, The Birds, The Wrecks and Valentia Harbour. For more information on the above dive sites visit
Dive Valentia (these are the people my club dives with - very professional, warm welcome, attention to detail. Really know their stuff when it comes to diving. Accommodation is a bit basic, but you can always go B&B in the area if you want) or Lavelles Angling Vessels are available for hire on a Daily rate, also portion of a day, and an hourly rate can be arranged.

Walking is a pleasure on any part of the Island and there are three approved walks complete with stiles ranging in length and terrain from 2 hours to 7 hours. (See Map at tourist office in Knightstown)

Bicycles are available for hire at Knightstown on a Daily or portion of a day basis. Cycling is safe on the relatively traffic free roads of the Island.

There are four pubs on the Island, two in Knightstown, and two in Chapeltown. During the holiday season they each offer music on various nights. Food is also available in these premises.

There are many restaurants on the Island offering a very wide range of menu's and value for money.

Diving
The Skellig Islands are two of the underwater jewels in Ireland's dive-crown. Every dive-boat from every creek between Dingle and Derrynane will ultimately make the journey there! Little wonder that they do; this magical place still amazes and excites like a new-found discovery, time after time.

It is here that the warm Gulf Stream first touches the Irish coast, bringing its frequent, international visitors to the Skelligs: trigger fish, basking sharks, minke whales, dolphins, and the occasional leatherback turtle. A wreck-fish that may have followed a piece of flotsam halfway across the Atlantic could suddenly decide that the shadow of your boat offered a better habitat for the day!

But apart from the exotic visitors, Nature has run riot in local sea life - the colours, the anemone-clad walls, the grey seals who always arrive wide eyed and curious to inspect the latest human intruders, the guillemots, razorbills and puffins who 'fly' more adroitly underwater than they do in air. And gannets - 27,000 pairs of them, the ultimate 'free divers' of the ocean's skies!

At the Skelligs, what you see is what you get, and the landscape overhead is a good indication of what lies below. Steep cliffs continue as sheer underwater walls; bird filled ledges continue as jagged steps, reaching down to 40m on the south side of the islands, and 55m on the exposed western faces before any trace of level bottom appears. It is a place for experienced divers only, and for suitably qualified groups with all their own equipment, including air, Des Lavelle, a dive skipper with many years experience, can offer day-trip-boat services - and the opportunity of landing on Skellig Michael and visiting all that this special island has to offer.

The other link I would give you is

Irish dive centres - south east , which is part of the site for CFT, the Irish CMAS affiliate.

Sorry this is so long, couldn't help myself and if you're leaving next week you might not have had time to check out all the links.You have a treat in store. The weather is pretty poor here at the moment - wet and blowy, and that might restrict your choice of dive site. Get out to the Skelligs if you can at all...diving there is a memorable experience (so was the boat trip out the first time I dived there, but that's a story for another day!) Even if the weather is poor, you should find yourself plenty of good dive sites. Oh - and enjoy the wedding!

:eek:ut:

Thank you for all the info, Irishdiver,

I'll be sure to bring a very high powered light to pick up any colors that might appear. Hopefully the weather won't be too bad to attempt a few dives.

Cheers,
Lisa:sunnyday:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom