Diving in IN - November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sooners

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Howdy folks!

I will be heading up to IN in Nov and wanted to try to get some diving in. Think ill be in Ft Wayne or just outside of.

Any good spots to hit up that you reccomend? Also, any ideas of water temps and such?

Im looking for something close by, just a day trip.

Any info would be appreciated!

Thank YoU!

It is probably a good 2 hours one way, but you might consider Gilboa quarry.

another one that i have heard of and might dive this weekend is france park in Logansport, IN www.francepark.com/scuba

Hey Sooner,
There are 3 dive spots fairly close to each other in Ohio I would guess all within a 2 hour drive from Fort Wayne...

1. Portage~ Scuba Diving and Recreation Center in Northwest Ohio - Portage Quarry which is great has lots of things to see there including a cemetery, silo, and 6 car pile up. It was fun diving but we used a 7mm during the summer when we went.

2. Gilboa~ Gilboa Quarry Scuba Diving which is great has the fresh water piranahs, grumman airplane, a helicopter and many other great things to see...We used a 7mm when we dove there this summer

3. White Star~ White Star Quarry, Gibsonburg, Ohio one of the best inland dive sites in the midwestern USA. Midwest dive sight. I haven't dove there so I can't tell you too much about it.

Within a couple hours southwest of Fort Wayne is
France Park~ Scuba diving France park is a shallow place to dive (30' max) There's a bus, boat, truck and tons of paddle fish to see. A friend of mine dove there yesterday and she said the water temp was 57 degrees and 30-40 foot vis. and the temp has held steady for about 2 weeks..

If you are up for a little bit longer drive maybe 3 hours or so...
Haigh quarry~ Home - Haigh Quarry - The Place for Scuba Diving in Northern Illinois which is known as the Caribbean of the Northwest. We used a 7mm there this summer too.

Hope it was helpful and you have a great time diving in the Midwest... let me know when you figure your plan out...

No matter where you dive...be prepared for the 'cooler' air to hit you once you take off your wetsuit...that's when it gets really cold!

Thanks zider, kj and Jendra!!

Well it looks like i have a few options, which is perfect! Im still worried about the cold haha. 57 degrees is cooooold!!

Ill have to see what happens though. Thanks for the info!!

B

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom