Diving in Hopkins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrianM83

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are planning a vacation to Hamanasi in Hopkins and plan to do some diving. She is fairly new to diving, less than 20 dives, and I'm wondering what diving there will be like. What depths will we be diving to? Is nitrox recommended? I'm AOW with nitrox but she is air with OW. I would like to go to blue hole if we can. Thanks

Talk to Hamanasi. They have their own in-house dive shop on the property, and their boats are right behind the resort.

The diving should be perfect for a new diver as long as the water's smooth. Typically the first dive will be to 70 feet max and the second (and third if they do three) to 60 max with most of the dive around 50 to 60 . The water will be warm, and the viz will be great. Usually no current to speak of. I'm sure they offer nitrox. Not really "necessary" but I prefer it since I pack in a lot of dives when I go to Belize.

As far as the Blue Hole, I don't know if they run trips that far as that would be an all day affair. If they don't, you could contact Splash in Placencia to see if they're going while you're there. They do the BH if they have a certain minimum number of divers, I think six.

I've never stayed at Hamanasi, but I've had lunch there and toured the property. It's very nice. I'm sure you both will have a great time. Be sure to let them know your wife is new to this. They'll take good care of her. Hamanasi has its act together.

Make sure you pop over to Chef Rob's restaurant at least once.

Look forward to your trip report.

Last edited:
Talk to Hamanasi. They have their own in-house dive shop on the property, and their boats are right behind the resort.

The diving should be perfect for a new diver as long as the water's smooth. Typically the first dive will be to 70 feet max and the second (and third if they do three) to 60 max with most of the dive around 50 to 60 . The water will be warm, and the viz will be great. Usually no current to speak of. I'm sure they offer nitrox. Not really "necessary" but I prefer it since I pack in a lot of dives when I go to Belize.

As far as the Blue Hole, I don't know if they run trips that far as that would be an all day affair. If they don't, you could contact Splash in Placencia to see if they're going while you're there. They do the BH if they have a certain minimum number of divers, I think six.

I've never stayed at Hamanasi, but I've had lunch there and toured the property. It's very nice. I'm sure you both will have a great time. Be sure to let them know your wife is new to this. They'll take good care of her. Hamanasi has its act together.

Make sure you pop over to Chef Rob's restaurant at least once.

Look forward to your trip report.

I endorse Downing's comments. Hamanasi has an excellent reputation and Chef Rob is great.

As the Blue Hole dive is to the limit of the recreational dive table and the nearest medical facility is at least 2 hours away by boat, we only take advanced or experienced divers (30+dives) and then only after they have done at least one dive trip with us at Splash (check out dive).

Regards
Ralph

Back
Top Bottom