Diving in greece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dezibel

Reaction score
My girlfriend and i are going to Greece for an island hopping vacation this august, the islands we are going to visit is Santorini/thira, ios, paros,antiparos + + , does anyone have any tips for me about where to go to rent equipment and where to dive? Also, how much doest it cost to rent full equipment for a day of diving?
Also if u have any islands in this region to recomend please feel free to do so to.

Tnx

Dezibel
Norway =-)

Lots of variety there, but you will have to check out the local sites to get the best deals. Greeks do great when you barter with them and you will get much better deals in person vs. going via internt.

If you want some absolutely incredible diving take a hopper to Cyprus and dive the zenobia wreck. There are some great operators there too.

Have fun, I loved Greece and Cyprus especially.

Any more out there with some info? Any info is great! :)

Hi, this is my first post in this newsgroup.

My husband and I returned a couple of weeks ago from Mykonos. We went there for work purposes, but arranged a short holiday before and got a 10 dive package through the internet. You can see pictures in www.inaoep.mx/~itziar/images/mykonos0306.html and also get their address. I can only speak well of Dive Adventures: great safety regulations, all rented BCDs have computers in the gauge panel, small fast boats, small groups, friendly and knowledgable staff. We were most impressed by the Greek hospitality, and would definetely go back and dive with them if we have the chance to go to Greece again.

We rented all equipment except for the masks, and it was about 350 euros p.p. for the package (10 dives + equipment). I did not notice other divers getting a better deal in person than what we got through e-mail.

You apparently cannot rent the gear and go shore diving by yourself. We were informed by a local friend (a diver, but not in the diving business) that it is forbidden by law to do so. It has to do with the preservation of underwater archeological remains.

Please, let me know if you want more info.

I forgot to say that, if you are interested in non-diving paradises of solitude, you should not miss Koufonisia, very near Naxos. They can accomodate about 1000 tourists, and it is a 300 inhabitant island. You can go around the island by foot in 2 hours. They have rooms to let all over the island, about 4 restaurants and a night bar. Apart from a beautiful coast-line, that is all. In two days you get to know everybody in the island, and the locals greet you too!

:) wooot tnx for great info! might go to mykonos then! tnx!! =-)

Hi Dezibel,

If you’re in the neighbourhood try Zakynthos. This is one of the few islands where your officially aloud to dive in Greece. Near Zante there are some really good dive operator. I myself have done some excellent diving with adventure diving. I believe they have an internet site: www.adventuredivingeurope.com
Good luck and safe diving!!
KJ

Hi Dezibel,

I 'm a greek diver (not in the diving business) and I 'm glad to provide you with info about diving in Greece...
itziar once bubbled...
We rented all equipment except for the masks, and it was about 350 euros p.p. for the package (10 dives + equipment). I did not notice other divers getting a better deal in person than what we got through e-mail.
Althought, it is possible to get a better deal in person, the foremenioned amount (350 euros / 10 dives) it's a very good deal. You can expect upto 450 euros according to low/high season and specific place. July & August are high season months while May, June & September are low season.
K J once bubbled...
Hi Dezibel,
If you’re in the neighbourhood try Zakynthos. This is one of the few islands where your officially aloud to dive in Greece.
itziar once bubbled...
You apparently cannot rent the gear and go shore diving by yourself. We were informed by a local friend (a diver, but not in the diving business) that it is forbidden by law to do so. It has to do with the preservation of underwater archeological remains.
It's true that diving in Greece is forbidden by law, except for the places marked as 'free' by National Archeological Agency.
You can still ask for a map of the free areas, rent the gear and go shore diving. The law says if it is free, it is free for all. The problem is that most areas are not near the shore or there is no road to approach them, so you need to rend a small boat and to know were exactly to go.
Anyway, if you feel a bit adventurus or you like the freedom of non-group diving you can ask for a free-area map and specific info at the diving centers.
Many diving centers (most of them I think) are also certified PADI diving schools.

It's true that Zakynthos island has terrific blue waters of very high visibility:
http://www.united-hellas.com/tourism/zakynthos/diving/index.htm

Santorini is a volcano-generated island and it's such a wild beaty. My dive in the underwater part of the volcano-wall was one of my best dives ever: This is an almost vertical, large wall, starting at 12 meters (36 feet) and going down to 35 m. After a small horizontal surface, it is going down to the deep blue of chaos (200+ meters). Note that Santorini is also one of the most expensive greek islands, considering accomodation, restaurants, etc.

I highly recomend also diving in Milos island in a diving center coordinated by the excelent instructor John Havakis (an x-member of Jacques Coustau ship):
http://www.milosdiving.gr/html/02_milos.html

Island Crete (actually the biggest island of Greece) has also a large number of well organized diving centers and a lot of bautiful diving places.

You can also check the following urls for specific info about diving in Greece:

http://promo.gr/gr/Sports/Sea_Sports/Diving/
http://www.isdc.gr/

Enjoy your vacation in Greece and
H a p p y D i v i n g :) :)

Nice to hearing that you are coming to visit our beautiful islands..The only sure is that prices may vary from place to place.In the area where I dive the value of a dive through a diving school is 30euros.30 euros including everything, equipment, a boat and a local diving instructor who will take you with the boat at the best places!!!

Hi,

we were at corfu last month and there is a very nice diving school where you can rent equipment and they take you to some wonderful places down there!!!

It is located in messongi on the area of the messonghi beach hotel on the right hand side.

Just have a look at their homepage for more details or the pricelist: www.nautilusdivingcorfu.com

enjoy,
kai

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom