Diving in Greece ... SOME INFO!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ManosK

Reaction score
Living+ working in the UK ** holidaying in Greece
Through various friends I have learned that although diving in Greece has now opened for every one, people who what to dive without going to a dive shop must have certificates that are approved by the Greek authorities (namely the Greek Coast Guard).

In order to do that each oprganisation (namele BSAC, PADI, CMAS etc etc) must have a legal entity in Greece (a llimited company).

So far the only so far (the first) organisation that has done that is PADI under the name ANDI HELLAS EPE (epe = ltd company). Panagiotis Vournas is the director.

Divers who hold certificates from organisations such as BSAC and all the others are not allowed to dive with their bussies in Greek waters unless the join a dive shop. If they do dive without joining a dive shop the penalties are high including inprisonment.

AS I am a BSAC diver and I dive quite a lot in Greece. However, since I do not see any indictaion that BSAC will be taking the route of legalising their certificate in Greece I am seriously thinking to cross over to PADI.

That really isnt true. See the other thread abou it. Its normal EU paperwork and nonsense which will be ignored (and is) and wont be enforced. Quite simply, you have to pay them a lot of money for a bit of paper. ANDI have done it, padi, iantd and others are in the process of doing it.
The existing bsac schools will remain.

This idiocy is best ignored

String:
That really isnt true. See the other thread abou it. Its normal EU paperwork and nonsense which will be ignored (and is) and wont be enforced. Quite simply, you have to pay them a lot of money for a bit of paper. ANDI have done it, padi, iantd and others are in the process of doing it.

yep I'm afraid the guy doesn't really know what he's talking about.............

Our license to dive was granted 10 days ago with no problems.

Argos:
yep I'm afraid the guy doesn't really know what he's talking about.............
I've always wanted to go to Greece for the waters, and since certified have wanted to go and dive there. Instead of simply harping, why not offer some useful information?

ManosK:
Through various friends I have learned that although diving in Greece has now opened for every one, people who what to dive without going to a dive shop must have certificates that are approved by the Greek authorities (namely the Greek Coast Guard).

In order to do that each oprganisation (namele BSAC, PADI, CMAS etc etc) must have a legal entity in Greece (a llimited company).

So far the only so far (the first) organisation that has done that is PADI under the name ANDI HELLAS EPE (epe = ltd company). Panagiotis Vournas is the director.

Divers who hold certificates from organisations such as BSAC and all the others are not allowed to dive with their bussies in Greek waters unless the join a dive shop. If they do dive without joining a dive shop the penalties are high including inprisonment.

AS I am a BSAC diver and I dive quite a lot in Greece. However, since I do not see any indictaion that BSAC will be taking the route of legalising their certificate in Greece I am seriously thinking to cross over to PADI.

PADI has not done it.. (as of my information from last month)
ANDI is an international training agency, no affiliation with PADI.. ANDI Hellas is the regional licensee of ANDI international..

Any instructor or unlicensed shop conducting a dive business is subject to a mandatory fine and imprisionment.. Only sanctioned classes can be legally taught.. PADI programs are NOT legal in greece at this time.. The law also holds the head of an agency responsible for unsactioned programs being taught.

All shops must get a license and go through an Audit.

String:

Its not going to be the status quo.. The greek government is taking things seriously.. They have a specific list of requirements that must be met to have an agency granted a license..

At this point if I was an instructor that has certified a student (in greece) with an agency other than ANDI since the law went into effect, I would be worried.. One of the requirements is that the government will be given certification data for all greek divers.. I can't see the Greek government granting additional licenses to any agency that will not turn over the appropriate data since the law has gone into effect.. If it does the government now has proof of a crime against the instructor and store owner.. Also the law does not alow for independent instructors, all training must be done through a licensed facility.

last time I checked (mid june) ANDI was still the only approved agency for TRAINING, a shops license doesnt depend on a specific agency just that it meets the requirements set by the law..

EU rules allow a country to put additional requirements on its nationals, but they are supposed to recognize accepted EU standards.. So any recognized EUF certified coarse (BSAC is not, but PADI, SSI, SDI, IANTD and others are) should be recognized at the diver level, and be able to be used in coinjuction with a licensed facility, conducting a business is another story..

Update:

Did some checking and PADI has been recognized since May, and IANTD as of 3 days ago.. So now there are three recognized agencies.

some additional info..
I did a bit more checking with people I know.. PADI's program has been approved (and has been for sometime), but PADI still does not have a license to operate in Greece, so the real status is questionable because they aren't in compliance with the law, This also brings into question if the dive center or instructor are also in compliance with the law..The C cards are produced out of country as well..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom