Diving in Freeport, Grand Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

427Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
The Villages, FL, and Northern Wisconsin (4 months
# of dives
200 - 499
Grand Bahamas Scuba Diving: May 5th, 2007 to May 12th 2007

We arrived and contacted Grand Bahamas Scuba, Fred and Melinda Riger. http://www.grandbahamascuba.com/

We went to Silver Reef on Sunday afternoon. This is a shallow reef and a great dive to get your weight and other things ironed out, especially after diving fresh water. We booked 8 more dives with Fred and Melinda.

The weather was not very cooperative while we were there. There was this no name, no storm that stirred the seas up and made them rough almost everyday. There were the fires in Florida that made 3 days very Smokey. This did not stop the diving however. Each morning we did a two tank dive to a different interesting site. The water temperatures started out at 80 degrees and by Friday had dropped to 75 degrees due to the storm.

My only problem was on diving Theo’s wreck and Shark Junction on Friday. We got back to the hotel and viewed our pictures of the day. We had seen 3 reef sharks and gotten some pretty good pictures. Also a good picture of a fairly large loggerhead turtle and of course Theo’s wreck. The next day we were looking at the pictures again and the SD card went bad. So all our Friday pictures with the sharks and Theo’s Wreck got trashed. Also that SD had a lot of our touring of the island. So all of that was lost. Next time I guess I should take a laptop to down load the pictures everyday, course then the laptop would fail:rofl3:. I did have other SD cards with the diving from Sunday tru Thursday so not all was lost. These pictures can be viewed at http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/2402

We had a great time, the dive boat was not over crowded (6-10), the other divers were a lot of fun, Fred and Melinda were excellent. I highly recommend if you are thinking of going to Freeport on Grand Bahamas to contact Fred and Melinda. We did go into Port Lucaya and check out UNEXSO, they looked like a typical cattle boat operation. They had 25 divers coming in when we were there. They do the Dolphin and Shark dives and all the ones that bring on customers, but they did not impress me.

We stayed at The Island Seas Resort, which is a timeshare. It was a great place and breakfast and noon lunch was OK, however the evening cook must not like to eat! Port Lucaya had a lot of great eating places however.

I highly recommend NOT flying Continental Airlines however. We had a direct flight round trip from Orlando booked, confirmed, and seats assigned. The flight over was OK and took a little over an hour. The flight back was were we ran into the nightmare! We got to the airport 4 hours early due to being kicked out of our Timeshare early. The airline told us we did not have seats on the flight, the flight had been way overbooked and it did not matter that we had confirmed seats. They then put us on a flight to Ft. Lauderdale. When in Lauderdale we could not find our flight to Orlando, we checked with the airline. They informed us we were on a flight to Key West. So we flew to Key West, then when we arrived in Key West we got a flight to Orlando. 8 hours later for what should have been 1 hour did not make us very happy when we finally arrived home, the only good thing, I do not know how they did it but our bags were in Orlando when we arrived.

We did find out about a ship that sails everyday to Grand Bahamas. It takes 5 hours and if we go again that is what we will do. It leaves Ft. Lauderdale at 8:00 am and is called The Discovery.

(We did go into Port Lucaya and check out UNEXSO, they are the typical cattle boat operation. They had 25 divers coming in when we were there, what a circus. They do the Dolphin and Shark dives and all the ones that bring on customers, but they did not impress me.)

oddy enough I was in Freeport and dove with UNEXSO May 4th through May 11th and dove with them each day, one day we had 10 divers other days 6 or 7 divers.If you saw 25 people on a boat it probley was taking people to the dolphin experence (not diving). I didn't think they were cattle boat at all. buddy dive if you want, guided tour if you want one.The staff was freindly and helpfull.

Dive Safe

Jim

moray48:
(We did go into Port Lucaya and check out UNEXSO, they are the typical cattle boat operation. They had 25 divers coming in when we were there, what a circus. They do the Dolphin and Shark dives and all the ones that bring on customers, but they did not impress me.)

oddy enough I was in Freeport and dove with UNEXSO May 4th through May 11th and dove with them each day, one day we had 10 divers other days 6 or 7 divers.If you saw 25 people on a boat it probley was taking people to the dolphin experence (not diving). I didn't think they were cattle boat at all. buddy dive if you want, guided tour if you want one.The staff was freindly and helpfull.

Dive Safe

Jim
Then I am wrong on the number of divers. I went over to the window where the girl was giving out gear. There was a couple there that had just come back from a dive. There was a lot of people. I asked her how many were on the dive. She told me 25. So that is where I got that from. Maybe she could not count, :rofl3:

It is very possible they were on the dolphin dive, I did not ask about that. It was on Monday morning May 7th and there were a lot of people in the store in the Dolphin Experence area also. We did run into UNEXSO on the water at a few of the dive sites and did not see that many divers on their boat. They even beat us to Theo on Thursday so we had to go else where as someone had torn off the second morring in the rough seas.

I stand corrected, thanks for info.

Dave

If UNEXSO was running a "cattle boat", I'd be concerned by "the cattle act". I'm comfortable (right Jim) with my skills and being so, I don't care if I'm on with 8 or 18.

Should you not be familiar with UNEXSO, they do much more (unfortunately) than just taking diving trips. As "moray48" mentioned, they do alot (and I mean alot) of dolphin trips. (If they did have a cattle boat, congratulations. Business is good). They also have alot of 'locals' that do dive programs. It is nice to go to an "island" and have locals take you diving.

If you don't know the folks behind UNEXSO, you should give them a chance. As a former employee, I've kept in touch with several of them, and several of their divers.

Plus, there is no "me-ego" with the staff there.

DSDO-

TKS

We did run into UNEXSO on the water at a few of the dive sites and did not see that many divers on their boat. They even beat us to Theo on Thursday so we had to go else where as someone had torn off the second morring in the rough seas.

Dave,
I was on the UNEXSO boat Thursday morning Blackbeards was just leaving Theo's and you guys were behind us when we tied up, wasn't that great of a dive, only 3 Whale sharks, couple of Mantas, and 1\2 dozen Hammerheads or so Ha.................

Jim

moray48:
We did run into UNEXSO on the water at a few of the dive sites and did not see that many divers on their boat. They even beat us to Theo on Thursday so we had to go else where as someone had torn off the second morring in the rough seas.

Dave,
I was on the UNEXSO boat Thursday morning Blackbeards was just leaving Theo's and you guys were behind us when we tied up, wasn't that great of a dive, only 3 Whale sharks, couple of Mantas, and 1\2 dozen Hammerheads or so Ha.................

Jim
With the rough water Blackbeards big boat pulled the morring out of the stern of Theo's so we had to go to another site instead of waiting for you guys. We did go back on Friday to Theo's and it was great. Xanadu repaired the stern morring on Friday also. Yea right all those animals, :rofl3: At shark junction we only saw a couple 6-7 foot reef sharks. The vis seemed to get worse and the temps went down each day but it was still great. A few people on the boat did get a little sea sick and supply chum for the fish:D

We did see a 12-14 ft hammerhead on Wednesday when getting into the water. We scared it off and no one got their cameras turned on in time. It was down about 30ft from surface.

My first time there and I did enjoy the diving, I only got 10 dives in the week as my wife made me do things with her:D:D, I did dive every morning except Monday.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom