Diving in end Dec - Anilao, Puerto Galera or Malapascua?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

madfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a week free from work in end Dec and thinking of using this spare time for diving. Been reading around but couldn't really make out whether Dec/Jan is a good time for diving in the above areas? I have never dived in Phils before, hence any advice is greatly appreciated.

It's a good time to be diving there but if you're going to head in December make sure that the operators and accomodation are not booked out.

madfish:
I have a week free from work in end Dec and thinking of using this spare time for diving. Been reading around but couldn't really make out whether Dec/Jan is a good time for diving in the above areas? I have never dived in Phils before, hence any advice is greatly appreciated.
i can only say for ANILAO for certain... did my checkouts in december... viz was pretty good (but my instructor was saying it's even better during the summer) at about 30-40ft. water's a tad chilly but very bearable

galera should be about the same since they're essentially the same piece of ocean

Jag

PS
but make sure you have a secure booking, and do this IN ADVANCE! december is peak season for resorts (i don't really know why considering that the water's colder than most people like)

PS
try www.balai-resort.com... i know they're not yet fully booked for december

Thanks for the replies. Will definitely check out the availability there .

Primetime diving, all Philippines March to June. Clearer waters etc. From the news reports the island of Luzon (Anilao and nearby Puerto Galera) had a lot of tropical storms this year. The seas may not be as clear as the Visayan Islands (Cebu, Bohol etc.)

Coming from mainland Asia, I would try and get a direct flight to Cebu in the south and by pass Manila. Because from Manila you are looking for another 3 hours of driving to your dive resort, in Cebu the divesite is just minutes from the airport, your one week will go a long way.

Dive Safe

Diving south of Manila has some great diving (both Anilao and Puerto Galera) and a variety of diving - whereas Malapascua offers less variety.

The resorts in Anilao are arranged such that, for the time you are there, you usually do not get out and about, but stay at the resort. There is no town or population center to walk around, no bars, no places to eat other than visiting another resort, which can be a real hike sometimes - so bring a book for when you are not diving.

Puerto Galera (Sabang) offers a town of divers, from all over the world, and is easy to get to. There are bars, discos, and quiet areas (Big Laguna for example).

Headed south to and near Cebu is also a good possibility. There are many resorts from 1 to 5 star. You have the city of Cebu nearby, if you want to be near a large city, and at the same time some decent diving.

No matter where you decide to go, pay attention to the warnings about reservations. You will find that many resorts fill up with divers from outside the country, from inside the country, families, and non-divers who just want to get out of the cities over the Christmas - New Year Time frame.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom