Diving in DR, Cabarete (Sosua)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

petra3

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I would be very gratefull for any information about diving in DR, Cabarete.
I'm going there in March and was thinking of taking an advanced course in Hippocampo center even.

Any experiences of diving there?
Diving spots? Centers?

Thanks!

Petra

petra3:
Hi everyone!

I would be very gratefull for any information about diving in DR, Cabarete.
I'm going there in March and was thinking of taking an advanced course in Hippocampo center even.

Any experiences of diving there?
Diving spots? Centers?

Thanks!

Petra

I just got back from a trip to the DR, stayed just down the road at Puerta Plata. The only "diving & snorkeling" was at Sosua but visibility was very poor and very little to see. The diving area there is somewhat protected from the westerly wind but everyone gets crammed together. Our "dive boat" was nothing but a 17 foot open fishing boat, did not even have a ladder! You got hauled over the side and dumped in the bottom. We went in late January and got rain every day, perhaps by March the weather and visibility will improve but the area is so mountanous any rain dumps a lot of dirt in the water. We were very disappointed. The only thing we liked was trips up into the mountains, walking the waterfalls, etc.
Cliff Gollus

I just got back from a trip to the DR, stayed just down the road at Puerta Plata. The only "diving & snorkeling" was at Sosua but visibility was very poor and very little to see. The diving area there is somewhat protected from the westerly wind but everyone gets crammed together. Our "dive boat" was nothing but a 17 foot open fishing boat, did not even have a ladder! You got hauled over the side and dumped in the bottom. We went in late January and got rain every day, perhaps by March the weather and visibility will improve but the area is so mountanous any rain dumps a lot of dirt in the water. We were very disappointed. The only thing we liked was trips up into the mountains, walking the waterfalls, etc.
Cliff Gollus
Just wanted to let scuba board know that I just took a vacation with my girlfriend to the Dominican Republic in Cabarete. I am an experienced diver but my girlfriend wanted to learn.We chose Hippocampo dive centre to dive with and had an absolutely great experience. I now have a certified Open Water diver girlfriend who cant get enough of diving.We have already booked our next dive vacation. Andy ,the owner of Hippocampo Dive Centre was very friendly ,professional and we had alot of fun.They did have a large boat of 25 feet and also had a ladder.They also carried a DAN O2 kit and an emergency telephone.The visibility was between 10-20 metres and we saw plenty. As a diver who has been around the world diving I was pleasantly surprised.Out of 10 I would grade the diving a 5 or 6...ie Borneo in the South China sea being a 10, Red Sea being a 7 or 8. I would have no problem in recommending Hippocampo
to anyone. Check them out at hippocampo.com

Back
Top Bottom