Diving In Donegal, Ireland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diversinc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
After reading an article about the PADI 5* Mevagh Dive Centre, Carrigart in 'Dive' magazine in 2010, by chance, I had an opportunity to check it out on a trip to Northern Ireland later that same year. Unfortunately for me though, I had a dreadful cold which kicked into touch any thoughts of diving, so I just contented myself with a look around. I had a good discussion with Donald Cullen, the owner about the facilities, equipment and diving. And I have to say, I was impressed on all fronts.

311926_301120613231792_100000015668797_1282624_280502444_n.jpg

The centre comprises an excellent B&B with ensuite facilities, a training/leisure pool no less and is a stone's throw from the local hotel/restaurant. From Open Water, to technical equipment, Donald just about has it all and the total cost for a long weekend trip including return ferry crossings and transport was actually comparable to a weekend stay in the Sound Of Mull. So all in all it was a great opportunity, so seven of us from Coatbridge Sub-Aqua Club headed there at the start of October (2011).

297286_289640994379754_100000015668797_1236415_14455264_n.jpg

We arrived in Carrigart - a beautiful small town located on the North Coast of Donegal, close to Sheephaven and Loch Swilley, about 4pm on the Friday. Since we had two full days on the boat ahead of us, we decided we'd just do a shore dive that evening at nearby Cranford Pier. The pier is situated on an inlet of water, similar to Scottish sea lochs, although it's still classed as the Irish Sea/Atlantic Ocean. It's well protected and allowed us a chance to check and try out our kit.

206453_1497540099015_1849514987_868265_3959743_n.jpg

There are two dredger wrecks sitting in 11 metres of water directly in front of the pier, and although mainly a sandy bottom, we still managed to spot a good-sized skate or two. (This did lead to some jovial debate about whether it was a skate or stingray - but wee Joe Woods should have learned by now that he's always wrong anyway).

After a few pints of the Black Stuff and dinner later that night, we were all-set for Saturday's diving. The plan was to do two scenic dives on the Saturday - 'The Fingers' and 'The Staggs' at Hornhead, and two wrecks - 'SS Kalliopis' and 'SV Gaelic' on Sunday. Fortunately the weather held for us on both days.

The two scenic dives were excellent. The water temperature was 14 degrees and the viz was around 10 metres and the sea was pretty calm. So conditions made for two great dives.

The first dive, a series of canyons in the rock which stretch out from the cliff face are referred to as 'The Fingers' because of their obvious resemblance. My buddy Derek from Dublin and I took-in a maximum depth of 25m. There's also an additional feature to this dive - a vertical cave like a chimney which opens out at 18 metres. Smugly enough, only Derek and I managed to find it, which of course we had to milk considerably for our benefit to the rest of the group.

293366_301077223236131_100000015668797_1282475_260027652_n.jpg

'The Staggs' were equally an impressive dive featuring a series of pinnacles from 20m to the surface. Due to the continual current through 'The Staggs', which we managed to hit at the right time, the surfaces are teaming with life including lobsters and common spotted dogfish. Unfortunately we never caught sight of their bigger cousins, those Baskings frequently sighted in these waters.

321234_1724180724889_1849514987_1094750_8376372_n.jpg

On Sunday, the plan was to dive the wreck of the SV Gaelic at the foot of Frenchman's Rock at a depth of 23-30m at Melmore Head. However, despite it being sunny and dry, the swell was particularly high and putting us in and out of the water would have been precarious. So we headed to the second dive site, SS Kalliopis. This was a vessel of Greek origin on its way to London with a cargo of grain. It sunk after being torpedoed by a U-Boat and catching fire. It is pretty much broken-up and lies in 25 metres of water. But the boilers and funnels are pretty much intact and the sea bed is spread with lots of debris including crockery and a large part of the main deckway.

319146_301084723235381_100000015668797_1282501_917691835_n.jpg

Due to the swell, we were still unable to dive the SV Gaelic, so headed for the southeast side of Melmore Head, where the cliffs create a natural bay providing some shelter from stronger tides. The depth ranges from 10-30m here and is mainly a sandy bed. There's a wreck of a fishing boat here and lots of pollock which were obviously a favoured catch for the many sea-anglers scattered along the clifftops.

206916_1497517298445_1849514987_868195_2167765_n.jpg

So how would I sum Donegal up? Fantastic. There's an abundance of wrecks which we never got the chance to do this trip, including a White Star ocean liner the 'SS Laurentic' and a great many scenic and drift dives. So would we return? Each one of us was in no doubt this won't be our last trip to Donegal. The warm Irish welcome and the craic alone would have made it all worthwhile.

For more information got to: Mevagh Dive Centre

Last edited:
icon14.png

diversinc

Great report thanks for posting - always good to read of dives and see pics from around UK sites.

Cheers

Are you saying Donegal, Ireland is part of the UK. Pogue mahone. Them be fighting words friend.

Sláinte

Are you saying Donegal, Ireland is part of the UK. Pogue mahone. Them be fighting words friend.

Sláinte

:drunks: GuinnessDiver .... My mistake, should of course have said Ireland, Eire, it was morning here when I wrote that, and suffering from the effects of a night out !!

I owe you a Guinness !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom