Diving In CT Long Island Sound

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swamp_monster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I live in Florida now, but am originally from Madison CT and I frequently return. I have access to boats up there and grew up on the water fishing and boating but never dove in the sound (yet). This might be like looking for a needle in a haystack but does anyone know any good dive spots or have any experience diving off Madison/Clinton/Guildford/Old Saybrook/Branford? My plan is to dive on some of the local reefs. I would love to hear some advice from some of you guys or any knowledge of dive spots you have anywhere on the CT side of Long Island Sound.

Reefs no. Breakwaters, lighthouses, rockpiles yes. No experience in your area. Grew up diving off Fairfield and Rhode island. How about some of the thimbles?

https://www.squalusmarine.com

Start there. Lots of areas and videos discussed. Diving in Long Island Sound is like swimming in a swamp at times. Visibility can go from 2ft to 15 ft. With no rhyme or reason. The further east you go the better.

Where you are 100% get in touch with SECONN they do dives out that way weekly during the summer. Also Diver's Cove is a shop in Essex that does weekly dives out in that area.

I've been in the Bridgeport area and will echo the comments about viz. Need to get out to the other end this summer.

Fort Wetherhill in RI is also a very popular spot.

I live in Florida now, but am originally from Madison CT and I frequently return. I have access to boats up there and grew up on the water fishing and boating but never dove in the sound (yet). This might be like looking for a needle in a haystack but does anyone know any good dive spots or have any experience diving off Madison/Clinton/Guildford/Old Saybrook/Branford? My plan is to dive on some of the local reefs. I would love to hear some advice from some of you guys or any knowledge of dive spots you have anywhere on the CT side of Long Island Sound.
Plenty of sites if you have a boat. I am located at western end of sound and dive 3 different tug boats, 2 excursion boats (Maine off execution light and Glen island wreck, assorted barges, pleasure boats). Try Orbit Marine for charter in CT. Visibility can range from zero to 5' up to a very unusual 15' under right conditions and location.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I am thinking of bringing my gear back in the summer (I will be around for a month or two). I may do a dive off Charles reef in Madison and also Madison reef if you are familiar with the area. I probably will head over to Rhode Island also to check out those dives as well. I have heard of people diving the Thimbles but the boat traffic concerns me. I will try to get some videos if and when I do these dives (just in case I find a new world-class dive spot haha:wink:)

Back
Top Bottom