Diving in Cozumel in Late March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skinfish

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am going to Cozumel, staying at the Iberostar Cozumel. I do not know anything about the dive offering thru the resort and wanted to see if anyone has experience with their dive operator.

I have been looking into a few other operators, like Papa Hogs, Aldora and Careyitos. I have seen recommendations for all on this board. I am a novice diver with less than 25 dives under my belt. I last dove in St. Thomas in April of 2003 for 2 dives, one wreck and one reef.

I will be in Cozumel for seven days and would like some feedback on what dives I should see while I am there. I would like to do a wreck dive, a wall dive, and whatever else is a must see in Cozumel.

Thanks in advance!

Doug

skinfish:
I am going to Cozumel, staying at the Iberostar Cozumel. I do not know anything about the dive offering thru the resort and wanted to see if anyone has experience with their dive operator.

I have been looking into a few other operators, like Papa Hogs, Aldora and Careyitos. I have seen recommendations for all on this board. I am a novice diver with less than 25 dives under my belt. I last dove in St. Thomas in April of 2003 for 2 dives, one wreck and one reef.

I will be in Cozumel for seven days and would like some feedback on what dives I should see while I am there. I would like to do a wreck dive, a wall dive, and whatever else is a must see in Cozumel.

Thanks in advance!

Doug
Whichever dive operator you choose, I would make sure that they know your level of diving experience, and I would recommend that you dive a few of the shallower dives before going deep so that you will have a chance to get used to drift diving. It's not a big deal, really, but it takes a little skills development. There are tons of great shallow dives to be had at Cozumel, so it's really not much of a sacrifice.

As to recommendations of sites not to miss, now that's hard! I've been to most of the "mainstream" sites and several of the lesser traveled ones, and I have yet to find a site I didn't like. You'll be on Cozumel, the viz will be 100'+, the water temp will be 80+/- 5 degrees; it's hard to go wrong!

A "must do" is the trek around the island. Rent a car and take most of a day to do it right.

I have some info posted at http://www.jumpstartmusic.com/CozTrav2000/index.html that may be of some use to you. Enjoy your trip!

Gordon,

Thank you for the advice, it will come in handy. I will be sure to let the dive operator know of my experience level.

I read your travelogue and have to say it will come in handy, what a great resource. Thank you again!

Doug

ggunn:
Whichever dive operator you choose, I would make sure that they know your level of diving experience, and I would recommend that you dive a few of the shallower dives before going deep so that you will have a chance to get used to drift diving. It's not a big deal, really, but it takes a little skills development. There are tons of great shallow dives to be had at Cozumel, so it's really not much of a sacrifice.

As to recommendations of sites not to miss, now that's hard! I've been to most of the "mainstream" sites and several of the lesser traveled ones, and I have yet to find a site I didn't like. You'll be on Cozumel, the viz will be 100'+, the water temp will be 80+/- 5 degrees; it's hard to go wrong!

A "must do" is the trek around the island. Rent a car and take most of a day to do it right.

I have some info posted at http://www.jumpstartmusic.com/CozTrav2000/index.html that may be of some use to you. Enjoy your trip!

Back
Top Bottom