Diving in Cape Town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SarahOP

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I will be going to Cape Town next June/July for the World Cup. My friend and I just got certified this year. We've done some diving (reef, wreck) in Cancun but that's it.

We have a great white cage tour planned.

Does anyone have any information/advice about other diving in Cape Town? How about water temps and visibility that time of year? Any sites that would be good for new divers? We really enjoy wreck diving and would love to do more. I am also a huge fan of sharks, so would not mind going to an area where some unique sharks can possibly be seen.

Any dive shops we should avoid or use?

Like I said, I do love sharks, but I will admit I am nervous about diving in that area. The idea of dark water, poor visability and great whites roaming around me is a little scary. I know the odds of an attack are slim to none, but they do happen. Does anyone know if great whites are often spotted while diving in that area? I am so excited to do the cage tour. But I'd much rather be out looking for them, then them looking for me. :D

Hi

If it's wreck diving you enjoy, we have plenty. Most of the operators here schedule a wreck dive as the first dive of the day. On Sunday I am doing two. However some of them are deeper than an opewater certificate will allow you, maybe consider doing an AOW before you come over.

As for sharks there is one site where you can see Sevengill cowsharks most times. The water temp will be around 12deg C, somtimes a little warmer. Viz around 8-10m, you can hire a 7mm wetsuit which will be Ok. There are other reefs to dive as well, no shortage of good diving. There are a few places to see Cape Fur Seals as well.

I have never seen a great white while out diving and I dive every weekend so I would not let that worry me.

I usually dive with Pisces Divers - Pisces Divers, South Africa

Contact mike@piscesdivers.co.za

Why not head to the Indian Ocean side as well? some good diving and warmer water! 22/23 Deg C at that time, and very mild and pleasant weather.

Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks easily reached from Durban airport, if you have the time a trip up to Sodwana will be time well spent, although it seems local flight prices are going through the roof for that period! It is possible to drive up to the East Coast from CT, a stunning drive but two days on the road at least, and SA's roads are not for woosies.

There is a good book that has it all: " The Dive Spots if Southern Africa" which you can order on-line.

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunatly, I do not have time to dive anything other than Cape Town. We have a set schedule and we're also doing a safari. I will only have time for one or two day trips out of Cape Town. Maybe one day when I get to go back I can do the other locations.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom