Diving in Buzios, Ilhabela, Punta del Este

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leejnd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello, I'm looking for any feedback about diving in these three locations:

Buzios, Brazil
Ilhabela, Brazil
Punta del Este, Uruguay

I'm going to be on a cruise ship that stops in all three ports, and I've read that there is good diving there. I'm interested in feedback - are they worth diving? Any suggestions of dive ops?

Thanks for any info!

Hi LeeAnne,
When would you be in Punta del Este? There is only diving there during summer - from December on. The only dive "worth"would be Isla de Lobos. One dive, expensive and where you are only at 6 m watching seals dive by you, with a vis of max. 4 m. That is pretty much it.

Hi Nami,
Thanks for the feedback! Your info validates what I've been finding out about diving in Punta del Este. I spoke to a dive op there, and they also noted that the only kind of dive is one in which you dive with sea lions, in cold water with very low vis.

It sound very much like the diving here in SoCal - cold water, mostly low vis, large populations of sea lions. I do that kind of diving all the time, so I don't need to do it elsewhere. :)

So I think I'll pass on diving in Punta del Este, and just do some kind of shore excursion on that day. I do still plan on diving in Buzios and Ilhabela, as it appears they have some good diving there. I've booked a dive op in Buzios, but still trying to find one in Ilhabela. I sent an email to one op several days ago but have not received a response.

Hi Leejnd,

Did you end up diving in Búzios? How was it? I moved back to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, after 10 years living abroad, and I am looking forward to start diving here.

Cheers,
Gabe.

@Dutch Mermaid Thanks for the video! :) I really appreciated it, as we can clearly see the boat and the dive itself, of course. I am still planning on going, can you believe it? Since it's been over 2 years since my last dive, I will probably start with a beach dive at João Fernandes Beach. There is a dive shop there... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom