Diving in Belize in early July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abloodworth

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi folks!

We are thinking about heading out for a last-minute trip to Belize to go diving in early to mid-July (just a couple weeks away!). I'm looking at the weather forecasts and there are lots of thunderstorms forecast for the next couple weeks. Is this just normal July weather in Belize or should I be concerned?

My husband and I have 50-60 dives under our belt since we got certified about 8 years ago, in Hawaii, Mexico & Grand Turk. We've done cave diving, night diving, and dealt with some rough seas in Cabo San Lucas last year after a tropical storm, so we are somewhat experienced but would like to avoid rough seas.

We are considering staying at a more secluded atoll like this: Glover's Atoll Resort, Belize, but would actually probably like something a little larger with more possibilities for other activities. I guess there are some good places to stay that having excellent diving and other things to do, possibly even jungles (which we'd really like)?

I'll read the other threads about whether or not to go to the Blue Hole, but feel free to opine on that as well if you'd like.
icosm14.gif

Thank you!
Allison

Allison,

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

I've dived Belize in all three summer months. We were rained on a few times, but overall the weather was great.

For the most part, when thunderstorms happened they would be at night. Sometimes they were spectacular and a highlight of the trip. The rain would usually taper off by morning and didn't effect the diving.

If you're looking to combine jungle with diving, think Placencia or Hopkins. You would be very close to the Cockscomb Basin Wildlife Sanctuary, the world's first jaguar preserve thanks to Dr. Alan Rabinowitz. And close to a bunch of Mayan ruins. If you read the threads, you'll see that Splash Dive Center is a popular choice for diving. If you choose Hopkins, Hamansi comes highly recommended. Both Splash and Hamanasi can arrange jungle stuff for you.

As far as the Blue Hole, it's a subject of a lot of debate here for several different reasons. Rather than reiterate or risk starting another flameout, read the threads and ask again if you have questions. For what it's worth, it's unlikely you would dive it from Hopkins or Placencia.

How long a trip are you guys looking at taking? Time will affect your options I would imagine.

Richard.

We are thinking a week. After doing some research I think we'll probably focus on diving and not worry too much about the mainland jungle/ruins stuff. After doing some research I'm considering these places:

- Glover's Atoll Resort, Belize
- Isla Marisol Resort Belize
- Seven In Heaven | Blackbird Caye Resort
- Belize Flats Fishing, Belize Scuba Diving and Belize Eco Tour resort, Belize permit fishing, saltwater fly fishing, Belize snorkeling, Belize's Blue Hole, bonefishing Belize, permit fishing, tarpon fishing, saltwater flyfishing, scuba diving Belize -
- Belize Scuba Diving | Belize Flats Fishing | Belize Resort | Turneffe Island Resort

We might consider Hamansi, but I think I'd prefer to be close to the diving so we can easily do 3 dives/day.

Oh, and we'll be there for just over a week I think, Saturday - Sunday.

That was a good point Richard brought up. If you're staying only a week, you wouldn't really have time to do both although you could head into the jungle the day before you fly out since you wouldn't be diving anyway.

The three resorts on the atoll, BCR, TF and TIR, all get high marks here and you'll find a number of trip reports about them on this board. The other two don't come up very often so if you stay there we'd all really appreciate a trip report from you.

If your flight out of Goldson is in the mid to late afternoon, then you'll have time to do something in the morning such as the Belize Zoo, cave tubing, the Community Baboon Sanctuary or Altun Ha.

I was in Belize last year and stayed at Hamansi resort. Most of the diving there is two-tank trips in the mornings, but the sites are great as is the dive shop that operates right on the premises. You only have to get up in the morning, walk to the dock and board the boat. Their rental gear is a quality notch above what you normally find in the Caribbean. If you want the Blue Hole, they usually schedule it at least one day per week, although it is a bit of a journey.

I went to ambergris caye for ten days two years ago on a whim. You just dive around the storms. As a Californian diver, regularly diving in 5-6 foot swells with less than 10 feet of visibility, any "surge" or "loss of visibility" due to a storm was negligible, and I don't notice at all. For me, there's no difference between 50 and 75 feet of visibility. It all looks like infinity to me!

We were able to make a jungle/ruins trip in the middle of the week as well, no problem!

My wife and I heading back to TIR for the second time next week. We're excited. Fantastic reefs and sea life. Its a wonderful resort but there is little to do but dive, fish and lie on the beach reading. We don't usually go back to places twice. We figure that there is a big world out there to be explored. But we had little time available and short notice. Since we had our best diving ever at TIR that's where we chose. We've been diving in much of the Caribbean (although not Bonaire or Roatan yet) and Half Moon Caye was by far the best site we've ever seen. The Elbow is great too and is about 10 minutes by boat from TIR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom