Diving in Belize August good idea or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craigY

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My wife and I would like to plan a vacation to Belize in August, but we had some reservations about hurricane season. From some of the research I have done it doesn't seem like this is that big of a deal. Can someone offer some opinions and advice on if August is a good time to travel to Belize.

Thank you
Craig

It isn't that big a deal and August is a good time, with generally very calm conditions. Hot mind. Do make sure your trip insurance covers lost dives/trips if we do have bad weather.

August is a great time for diving. Main hurricane season doesn't usually come to Belize until later in the season. If you come to Placencia, there are lots of good inland adventure tours to go on on the occassional day where you get bad weather.

If you come to Placencia, there are lots of good inland adventure tours to go on on the occassional day where you get bad weather.

I don't know about Placencia, but if you come to Dangriga and get bad weather, you might as well stay in your hotel because it'll be raining in the mountains too. :D (couldn't resist, Ralph)

But seriously, August is really good. There is a big spawning aggregation of Cubera snappers at Turneffe. Unreal. You'll see over 2000 fish in the 15-40 lb range. Also dog snappers and many other large fish hanging around.
The weather can be really calm and it's warm water. My favorite time of the year.

Hey Hank, it only rains at night in Camelot and Placencia!
In any event, the bad weather I was referring to is wind and waves that make for rough trips out to the reef. Our boats can handle it but it is hard on the people so those days are good days for inland tours (even Monkey River because while that is by boat, part of the trip is well protected by the Mangroves).
Hank, we will have to talk about doing a fishing trip to Turneffe in August! Send me your e-mail address and I will send you a photo of my fishing boat.
Regards
Ralph

Attachments

• Nia leaving after the dive.jpg
    Nia leaving after the dive.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 1,148
I'm scheduling the cubera trips now. I have to go to Honolulu to see my new granddaughter, coming in May and I"m scheduling it after the full moon on July 15 and before the Aug 13 full moon. There were still some there in Sept also this last year.
You will be blown away. It's almost as good as Gladden....but no whale sharks.
But to the OP....August rocks. ya man....

I don't think Belize in August is a good idea--I think it's a great idea! We were there at the end of July last summer. It rained a bit but not enough to spoil the diving or the trip.

But as Peter suggested, picking up trip insurance is a good idea just in case.

Hank, It seems like second half of July or first half of August is when it will be. I will put that in my calendar! May want to do some scuba while we are there. I sent you photos of Nia - maybe make it overnight and sleep on the boat. Maybe Downing will be interested in doing some fishing too.
Regards
Ralph

Hey, I'd love to do that.

Except I'll be long gone by August. We're there 6/10 through 6/25 so we can avoid the August hurricanes.

If you guys want to set up some sort of fishing/scuba trip in June, though, that would be cool. I just have to either combine it or fit it in with my Rescue Diver, Night, Boat, Deep and Whale Shark classes.

Maybe I could just scuba under the boat and try to scare the fish your way.

Ok, just kidding about the hurricanes. :D

Downing, we will have to see what we can do to fit fishing into your schedule. If I recall, you also seemed to want to rent a 4WD and hit some of the back roads when you get here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom