Diving in Anguilla

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey, I'm just back from a week in Anguilla... not normally thought of as a prime diving destination in the Caribbean, but I figured I would post something, since I did have a great time! If you are going there for other reasons (such as a non-diving travel companion, etc...), it is definitely worth checking out the underwater scene. Anguilla seems to be more famous for VERY nice (fancy, pricey) dining, pretty beaches and exclusive resorts, although there were some more reasonable accommodations and restaurants for those on a budget.

The wreck diving that I did was actually very good, certainly accessible for all levels of divers. I went with three different dive outfits over the week.

Doug Carty is probably the best known dive organizer on the island. He has a great reputation and it seems to be well deserved. He is popular with long term visitors, locals, and those with experience diving in Anguilla. One of his customers that I met (a restauranteur from Toronto) leaves all his gear with Doug for months at a time, and dives during his frequent visits to the island. Apparently, Doug used to run a dive shop, which closed in 2000, but he continues to run dives and charters off his boat, the Desha. More info at www.dougcarty.com.

Anguilian divers (www.anguilliandivers.com) was very helpful in coordinating dives ahead of time by email. I only went out with them once, but the did pick me up at my hotel beach (good service if you don't have a car). I also went twice with Matthew Billington of Shoal Bay Scuba (www.shoalbayscuba.com). He was very helpful and accomodating - willing to go out even if the weather/vis wasn't great, but being very up front with people to make sure that they didn't go without knowing the forecast.

Didn't get the greatest photos this week, but a few came out OK... more time and better vis would have helped: http://homepage.mac.com/mikerothschild/SCUBA/PhotoAlbum312.html

Take care..!

Mike

Just got back from the islands myself, Dove with doug, small island freighter. Excellent dive, took some nice video. Also have great video of spanish rock a reef north of st martin in the channel. Surge was tremendous but the reef was fatastic with soft corals. Come down to South Padre texas this summer and dive the Texas Clipper.We are sinking her in april.

Sounds great! Where did you stay? We were at the Carimar Beach...

we were on a 60 ft catermaran based in marigot, spent the week gunk holeing, diving and sailing around the islands.

Hi all,

Just tried sending an email to Douglas Carty at the address on his website and I got a failed delivery message. Seems like he's no longer a registered user at anguillanet.

Just curious if anyone's been in contact with him recently?

Thanks!

<got this error>
This is the mail delivery agent at mess<agelabs.com.
I was not able to deliver your message to the following addresses.

<dcarty@anguillanet.com>:
205.214.221.2 does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 550 dcarty@anguillanet.com unknown user account

I got that same error message for a completely different email address - but it means that the other mail server doesn't understand this address.

HTH

Lottie

Back
Top Bottom